Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished reading twist of the wrist 2. The author Kieth Code, discusses the benifits of counter steering and using the OUTSIDE peg as your pivot point, or where you would put most of your weight. Just wanted to know what others of you think of this method of turning.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I couldn't imagine riding without counter steering but I actually put most of my weight on the inside peg to push the bike into the corner. I did read something about putting it on the outside and I did try it for a while but it feels weird to me. My short height also pretty much lifts my outside leg off the peg at times if I'm getting my knee down. My body just isnt big enough to be two places at once!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I couldn't imagine riding without counter steering but I actually put most of my weight on the inside peg to push the bike into the corner. I did read something about putting it on the outside and I did try it for a while but it feels weird to me. My short height also pretty much lifts my outside leg off the peg at times if I'm getting my knee down. My body just isnt big enough to be two places at once!
counter steering is a must u are doing it with out even knowing it, and also quarkz where u get ur knee down at i need pics here in FL there are no turns:rant :rant :rant i got to go to the track to try to get my knee down maybe next track day the knee will touch the ground lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, I've been counter steering for awhile now, but the pressure on the outside peg is such a wierd concept though. I'm going to try it for awhile and see what happens.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Everyone counter-steers, even if you dont realise it, next time your out on a ride take your left hand off and put it on your tank, then steer with your right hand alone, good little drill to show what counter steering is!

hope this helps

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I find it hard and strange to weight the outside peg on a road bike. So I do what works for me.

Yet on a dirt bike it's natural to weight the outside peg, usually I'd have my inside foot off the peg and outstretched forward.

Weird.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Alot of people say they DON'T counter steer at all. BUT THEY ARE WRONG! They just aren't aware they are doing it, that's all.
When you make a conscious effort to counter steer however, my she turns quick and sweetly!
I only can use the outside peg method on track, just messes me up on the road really. plus i tend to steer with the front on the road.......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, good responses. But, who weights their outside/inside peg in turns and why. Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to get a better understanding before I have my first track day on the 26th. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When you push on the inside bar (countersteer) Your inside shoulder and therefore your body mass travels to the inside of the corner. The bikes mass follows suit, giving you your lean angle. If you apply more weight to your inside peg this all happens that bit quicker. Never tried applying weight to the outside peg apart from when going through a chicane to "flip" the bike over quicker into the second bend. Hope this is of some help to you mate. Happy ridin'

·
Banned
35 Posts
I have used weighting the outside peg for years, and as for counterstearing goes, everyone does it, but when you use it to your advantage it changes how you ride forever! I have a friend that just bought a new CBR600RR and he said he was having problems with the bike not wanting to turn. I laughed and told him what was wrong, I expained about counterstearing, he called me the next day and he was amazed at how his bike handles now. It is scary that people are still out there today without the proper fundementals, to be better, safer, and have more fun!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kenrose - I have used weighting the outside peg for years,

Kenrose thanks for the reply. Why do you weight the outside peg? How does it effect the bike?:confused

·
Registered
503 Posts
Weighting the OUTSIDE peg on corner exits helps the rear tyre with traction.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ok well try this so you can get the idea of what it feels like and can do. travel along on ur bike say 50-60-70. stand up on the pegs and then just gently at 1st aply pressure/weight to one peg or the other, you will see that the bike wants to turn that way.
and conrering really u r using it to counter balance kinda, as an upright walking homosapien we all do it without even realising we are.oh i have just sold my WP steering damper to my good friend ed' for £150, arent i nice! n bought myself a GPR one from america for approx £230ish ohh i'm all excited now!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have a race/track modified C1 zx9r rear shock to sell, it has WP valve internals and WP spring etc, as, n here i go bragging rights now, i have Micheal Rutters ex-bsb kwaka WP race shock on my 9' lol. i am sure the fixing mounts are the sme for 6r's aswell so any offers people ?

·
Banned
35 Posts
there are many ways to keep you and your bike smooth in corners, we all counter stear, its just to what degree. and the same with weighting the pegs, its about the little extra bits of leverage we can do to keep the line you want, and the best tire contact, without upsetting the bike.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
as i am new rider i didnt think how far i was going over i had some dirt on the rear tyre and i was surprised how far i did from the dirt that was removed from doing it i was teached c/s on my lessons and as some said you dont even know you are doing it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts