Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am faced with this strange issue going into Right Hand Corners. I always overshoot and find my self in trouble if I am trying to make a hard right corner.

No problem what so ever with left hand corners, I can literally turn at 30 degree angles (or less even!) without my knee down.

What am I doing wrong and what do I need to do to get better at it?

·
Registered
11,985 Posts
body position.
slide your but towards the inside. put your head towards the inside mirror. smooth throttle. look through turn.

·
Super Moderator
5,458 Posts
Slow corners or fast corners? the main thing is to look where you want to go, but body position is dictated by speed. In a slow corner, like really slow, you lean the bike over and keep your body upright. Any time your trying to take a corner as fast as possible, you should scoot off the seat, drop your upper body down to the right side (or left if you going left) of the tank, and look though the corner along the line you want to take.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
well its hard to explain properly without a visual. but, ill try... prior to entering your corner you should be preped for entry. meaning you body position should be already proper. upon entering your ass should be mid way up the seat and your asscrack should be on the inside edge of the seat, or pad, which ever u have. your feet should be set so that the balls of your feet are on the pegs. your knee to the inside should be pointed out wards and your inside heel should be rotated up onto the heel guard. this will assist your knee in the propper position. your outside knee should be planted against the tank to hold your body weight. then your upper body should also be low and inline with the inside of the bike where your mirror is or should be to include your head. your outside arm should be semi strait over the tank and your inside arm should be damn near 90 degrees at the elbow. your head should be looking over your elbow and thru the turn. now alot of people are a bit uncomfortable with leaning in on the throttle side. this is due to the fact that they may twitch the throttle by accident and get screwed up. the best method to combat this issue is to turn your inside hand outward inline with your forearm when bent. in other words, not to sound dirty, it should look as if your stroking the throttle from the outside. get it? this way you can control the throttle and front brake properly without the feeling of strain on your wrists. if you need i will post pics. let me know. Im a race coach here at the local tracks. so this is something we deal with alot.

eviltwin also is correct. the faster the corner then the more your body position plays into it.

·
Super Moderator
5,458 Posts
^ much more thorough explanation.

09ZX-6R, what are your thoughts on rotating your foot on the peg so that your pressing on the end of the peg instead of the top?

·
Registered
222 Posts
09ZX-6R,

Obviously, I didn't ask the original question, but I could use the advice. Your explanation is very detailed; the problem is I have practically no imagination and cannot visualize what you are describing. Particularly the arm/hand position. I would find the pictures you mentioned very helpful, if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
163 Posts
well its hard to explain properly without a visual. but, ill try... prior to entering your corner you should be preped for entry. meaning you body position should be already proper. upon entering your ass should be mid way up the seat and your asscrack should be on the inside edge of the seat, or pad, which ever u have. your feet should be set so that the balls of your feet are on the pegs. your knee to the inside should be pointed out wards and your inside heel should be rotated up onto the heel guard. this will assist your knee in the propper position. your outside knee should be planted against the tank to hold your body weight. then your upper body should also be low and inline with the inside of the bike where your mirror is or should be to include your head. your outside arm should be semi strait over the tank and your inside arm should be damn near 90 degrees at the elbow. your head should be looking over your elbow and thru the turn. now alot of people are a bit uncomfortable with leaning in on the throttle side. this is due to the fact that they may twitch the throttle by accident and get screwed up. the best method to combat this issue is to turn your inside hand outward inline with your forearm when bent. in other words, not to sound dirty, it should look as if your stroking the throttle from the outside. get it? this way you can control the throttle and front brake properly without the feeling of strain on your wrists. if you need i will post pics. let me know. Im a race coach here at the local tracks. so this is something we deal with alot.

eviltwin also is correct. the faster the corner then the more your body position plays into it.
This is why I love this forum!! properly good advice :n6zlove

·
Registered
4,143 Posts

I've been told with all of this too that I should push my shoulders inline with the curve to help avoid riding crossed up. Comments on this advice given to me?

·
Super Moderator
5,458 Posts
I think we forgot to mention counter steering.
I've never been conscious of counter steering, it's always been something I've just done, therefore I always forget to tell people to do it.

Reactions: Oldhead

·
Registered
238 Posts

Great advise... would you mind posting pics if you have them?

Reactions: Rudy

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Sure. I can do that.

Evil...the position of your toe will be on the peg nipple wen ur heel is rotated up onto the heel guard. Its normal but u dont want to have it so far out u drag toes in corners.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Good information, have the same issue with my left turns. Glad I ran into this.

·
Registered
818 Posts
apart from the great advice on here remember to relax, dont tense up and BE CONFIDENT, a properly maintained bike can handle far more than you think :)

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
^ much more thorough explanation.

09ZX-6R, what are your thoughts on rotating your foot on the peg so that your pressing on the end of the peg instead of the top?
Footwork is a very important part of setting up your body position. Rotating your inside foot and using your heel guard to plant your heel gives you a more solid base, allows for more accurate peg weighting, and helps align your lower body. Moving your outside foot forward and placing the arch of your foot on the peg will allow you to drive your knee into the tank harder and give that leg a break while you're not using it in the corner, allowing it to rest for the next time you turn that direction. These techniques will help you ride longer because your legs wont be tired as quickly.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
so heres how it works...
improper foot and rider position before corner entry and prior to prepping.

proper rider and foot position prior to corner prep. (notice the feet moved back to the toes, and your ass slides to mid seat. this straitens the back and shoulders.

now to prep for your corner entry. this is where the toe meets the peg nipple and the heel rotates up onto the heel guard. this in turn allows your knee to rotate out correctly with no effort or strain.

then slide your entire body to the side of the bike (in this case, to the right) so your asscrack meets the edge of the seat and your chest is inline with the mirror.

impropper position aka being crossed up

propper position

from there you will then lean your body forward and bend your inside elbow and straiten your outside arm.

the outside arm and leg should look like this. the elbow straitened but not locked, your knee griping the tank and foot slightly forward on the peg.

then relax your body and lean the bike into the turn while looking over your elbow and remaining tucked to the inside of the bike.

at this point alot of riders and some new racers are sketchy about hanging off the throttle side because there right hand and arm are unpredictable with maintaining body posture and control. the usuall mistake is this when the body is positioned but the hands are not. notice the bent wrist. causes strain and hard throttle control.

the best hand position is this... it maintains control and is totally strain free. quite comfy too.

1 - 20 of 211 Posts