Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so a few days ago I noticed my bike was leaking a little coolant and when I say little I mean no more then a few cap fulls (like a cap from a 2 liter soda bottle). I was at school so I figured I had plenty to get home and check it...at one of the stop lights I noticed a lot more on the ground below me but when I got home nothing was leaking...I immediately though another rock hit the rad and I have another repair on my hands. Today I finally had a chance to take the fairings off and the reservoir is FULL...and it turns out that's where its leaking from...the overfill hose on the reservoir. This immediately concerned me because it's never happened so I take the cap of the rad and theres nothing in there. I turn on the bike and let it warm up and it quickly starts climbing to 180 where normally it won't go past 120-130 in about 10 min. I touch all the hoses to and from the rad and they are all cool to the touch with absolutely no pressure to them at all...I then touch the hose going to the water pump and same. Now I'm worried my pump has taken a dump. Could this be the issue? I poured some distilled water into the rad and the temp quickly started dropping and retested the hoses by touching them and now they were getting hot with a little resistance when squeezing them...HELP!

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Try and flush it tomorrow, pull the hoses and check for blockage. However it's probably the water pump. Try and find a blown motor and offer like 20$ for it if this be the case.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try and flush it tomorrow, pull the hoses and check for blockage. However it's probably the water pump. Try and find a blown motor and offer like 20$ for it if this be the case.
Just got off the phone with the nearest Kawasaki dealer and explained it to them. They said that it def can't be the water pump if after I put more fluid in there it cooled now. Just went back to the bike and opened the rad cap and there def is pressure to it...guess I'll start with a flush and then buying the pump...

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Maybe your thermostat is not opening?

Reactions: dennisplus
1 - 4 of 4 Posts