Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i have a 06 zx6r, bike only has 10k on it but im having an issue. when i run it up to operating temp then shut it off you can hear the water boiling over and then starts to piss out of the overflow hose. heres what ive done, tried a new rad cap, removed the thermostat to make sure it wasnt getting stuck. still happening. the bike hasnt really heated up it got in the high 220F but from all ive been reading the kawi heads are pretty strong and heat up to 240 without damage, (not that it should run that high). so im trying to find the solution! i test rode it earlier, no thermostat in, AND ONLY DISTILLED WATER fans come on when they should as seems to do well keeping the bike in the optimal temp zone of 208-212 degrees. at a stop it may get to as high as 216- 218 but then comes back down once moving. then i get home and shut it off and it still boiling and pissing out, what could be causing this!!!! any suggestions will help as i am kinda at all loss of where to go from here !! taking any advice and thanks in advance!:O

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea right cap & it does have a res.. just attempted to bleed air out and got it up to 202 and i was still getting bubbles coming up! could this be air being introduced into the system causing the boil over? hoses looked fine. guess in the morning ill have to inspect further, im out of daylight:hmmm:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I just finished tearing her apart, and looks like when I removed the thermostat I failed to torque a couple of the housing bolts all the way, could this be causing air to get sucked into the system?

·
Registered
792 Posts
it is possible, but UN-likely. You should be pushing water out of the system as it is pressurized..
Why remove the thermostat? most of the time this can lead to overheating issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
yes it is a possibility but it was bubbling before you removed the thermostat and bolts where torqued i guess,
it could be a problem with the water pump also and it would be wise to flush the system and see if there is any residue blocking the flow through the system, check for any colour change in the water, this will indicate coroding somewhere along the line,
would definatley pressure test the system to check for leaks,,hope this helps,
it is possible you have a leak somewhere , hose maybe, causing air in system creating pressure and the water evaporating on hot engine components,,, pressure test i say

·
Registered
9 Posts
any loss of power when throttling the bike, flat spots, engine usually bullet proof,
dont want jump too far ahead, but if it not water system,,,, pump, blockage leak etc,
back pressure in system is as you know caused by engine failure,,
chances are it not,,,, fully overhaul the cooling system

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want to double check something with you guys, at the rad cap neck there is two smaller hose ports one of which runs down to the reservoir, and.the other runs to the therm housing..does any one know if it's the upper most hose that runs to the res, or is it the lower one that does??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts