Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
butiwasgoingtotashistatio ntopickupsumpowerconvrtr
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 2001 6r has a cooling problem. when sitting with engine on/going at low speeds, the engine temperature constantly rises. when i get to anywhere above about 30mph, it cools down/remains at a good constant temp..but when sitting at a red light or something, i just sit there and watch it consistently rise in sadness.

i've let it get to about 230*F but it's only gotten that high once. It generally just gets to like 210 max before a light changes or whatever.

I've not seen the radiator fan come on, but i havent riden for the past couple of weeks due to the 4 pins sticking out of my finger, so i cant say for sure its gotten to the right temperature for that (i've just started it up/revved it a bit, but no riding)...so i guess it could be the radiator fan switch..?

i've checked the coolant for flaws and it is good and so is the level. I havent taken the radiator cap off and checked for bubbles or whatever, so ill do that tommorow..but, i kinda doubt some air in the system is it, but i dunno.

im guessing i have a bad thermostat..? any ideas?

thanks

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Your fan doesn't come on until about 248F (120 celcius). Well that's what temp mine comes on.

Those are normal temps. My bike rides at around 180F all the time.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
It could be a jammed thermostat, it could be a blocked radiator too.

I'd start with a thorough flush of the cooling system and radiator and then refill with distilled water and anti- freeze / boil / corrosion inhibitor.

But it could be normal too. 176~186F seem to be normal temps for most bikes these days. All my bikes get hot sitting at the lights and cool down as soon as I start moving. (The GSXR & TL fans come on at 106C / ~225F, they come on, pull the temperature lower, turn off, temp rises, turn on, temp drops, turn off. It didn't take a lot of air flow to get the temp to drop).

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
:stupid

Try letting it get a bit warmer and see if the fan comes on. if it doesn't then look into that - I really think your only issue, if any at all will be the fan:)

·
butiwasgoingtotashistatio ntopickupsumpowerconvrtr
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, now i feel dumb...BUT i'm happy there probably isnt a problem :D

danke alles

1 - 5 of 5 Posts