Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R 636 with 12,000 miles. When I went to change the oil, it was milky white. I rebuilt the water pump and bought a new oil cooler and still have the same issue. I pressure tested the coolant system which is when I noticed the coolant coming straight out the oil drain plug.

Q. If I pull the oil pan and exhaust is there any other component i could check?

Q. What other testing can I do to narrow down by problem?

Q. Can the cylinder jack or cylinder head jacket be an issue?

Q. Can the thermostat housing be an issue?

This seems like it may be the head gasket but it does not smoke and runs amazing. Compression test was good as well.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

I attached a diagram of my coolant system for reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the following:

1. The mechanical seal that is labeled (W) in the attached diagram
2. The oil seal behind the mechanical seal that is not labeled in the diagram
3. The water pump cover O-Ring that is labeled (HG) in the diagram
4. The O-Ring behind the oil pump body that is not shown in the diagram

After replacing all of the above, there was no change in the issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,726 Posts
Cracked water passage in the cylinder head

head gasket itself

those would be the next most likely

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is a cracked water passage in the head something that can be replaced or does that mean I need a new head?

·
Registered
8,726 Posts
Is a cracked water passage in the head something that can be replaced or does that mean I need a new head?
first you have to identify it, then can you assertain if it is repairable.......

I have seen maybe a dozen heads (MN winter and water doesn't mix) that have frozen and cracked, I think 2 or maybe 3 of those were fixable (weld and grind) the rest garbage............

The most recent one was cracked right through the exhaust port where the "fresh air" channel is to make emmisions readings lower by introducing fresh air directly in to the exhaust system.........not repairable, atleast not in a manner worth exploring

Reactions: Strider

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This bike is in Illinois and wasn’t ridden much the last two years by previous owner. I’m starting to think it wasn’t winterized. Temps reached -50 windchill last year here

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It’s wild to me how amazing it starts, idles, runs, shifts and sounded amazing before I drained the oil. Never ran hot, never smoked. Mind you I only drove it maybe 30-50 miles before I “was just going to do an oil change” and saw milky mess.

When I test drove it before purchase I met the seller at a garage it was stored at. We waited an hour for his uncle to open the garage he took the cover off started it up and idled it for me for 10 mins while I looked it over. The bike is spotless and stock with muzzy exhaust. After ten mins he ran it thru the gears and ripped it pretty hard. When I drove it I never got over 55 mph as I did not have cash it hand.

A week later I returned with cash I idled it until it warmed up then took a ten min drive and drove it on the trailer. 50 miles later I checked the oil.

·
Registered
14,138 Posts
Have you tried contacting the seller? They could (not very likely) have a higher moral standard than we expect.... Doesn't cost you anything, to find out.

Good compression, not overheating, running well, seems like it's probably less expensive to fix it than scrapping it.

When you dumped the coolant, I'm guessing it was water, rather than antifreeze?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm pretty confident in the water pump rebuild. I'm pulling the motor today to see if I can identify anything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I pulled the head last night and all the gaskets look good to me. I had a freeze plug that was completely corroded and broke off. Visually I haven't found any cracks or anything on the head or jug. The other thing I noticed is tons a nasty brown build up in the water jackets. I'm not sure what to do next. If anyone has any helpful troubleshooting tips at this point please let me know!

·
Registered
8,726 Posts
I pulled the head last night and all the gaskets look good to me. I had a freeze plug that was completely corroded and broke off. Visually I haven't found any cracks or anything on the head or jug. The other thing I noticed is tons a nasty brown build up in the water jackets. I'm not sure what to do next. If anyone has any helpful troubleshooting tips at this point please let me know!
Put up a few pictures.

the freeze plug can be replaced- and if one is bad I would replace all.......

on a 05 zx6r you do not have steel liners so........ You could simply clean the cylinder water jackets etc.... physically or use one of the many cooling system cleaners on the market, but generally rust...... if it is brown- clearly had been using just water or something that didn't prevent corrosion and rust and like not freezing

Reactions: Strider

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is the one freeze plug I took out. Is there supposed to be a hole in it?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts