Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be doing a coolant flush on my 08' ZX6R, in the spring, and just have a few questions to bounce around before I do it.

I picked up a gallon of Engine Ice for the new stuff...is anyone running it or has anyone previously run it? If so, is it good stuff?

Also I haven't looked at the coolant drain plug yet...does anyone know the size of the bolt? (As I will be replacing the crush washer).

Any other advice/comments are much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Engine ice is good stuff. I run it in all my motocross bikes as I'm much harder on those than my street bike. Be sure to THOROUGHLY flush all of the coolant out before you add the engine ice. Try 5 flushes with distilled water and some vinager. The EI and 50/50 coolant don't mix well and will cause you problems down the road. As far as the bolt size, I am not sure other than the one on the bottom of the pump is an 8mm and the one by the headers is a 10mm. You shouldn't need to replace those washers though. I've probably done 50 coolant flushes between all my bikes and I've never once replaced a crush washer nor have I had any issues with leaks.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Everything said above is correct. I just wanted to second that you really have to clean the system out. I use engine ice and got a little lazy with my last coolant flush. Probably didn't flush it as much as I should've. Definitely saw an increase in engine temps. You absolutely need to flush the old coolant out of your system. Fill it completely with distilled water, run engine (then let it cool!!!!!), then drain and repeat a few times.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you thank you! I was planning on at least 3 flushes with distilled white vinegar and distilled water, then 2 more with just the distilled water before finally adding the engine ice. Good to know it doesn't mix well & I'll reuse the crush washer(s).
*I better let it cool...or I'll be in for more than a surprise!!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I was unimpressed with Engine Ice. It was an awful lot of work and expense and I saw no significant improvement in cooling. I wouldn't use it again.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Iv found silkolene mag cool works pretty well (pre mixed too), did it when I had 07 zx6r and definitely ran cooler...iv since changed to the same coolant on my 08 r1, it's a known fact the 07/08 r1s run HOT and after the change yet again it made a noticeable difference. Heard mixed reviews about engine ice, never tried it myself

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Depending on your inclination, and what you plan on doing with the bike.

Street only, IMO pull the stat, do flushes with distilled until it's clear.
Put new stat in, also consider new radiator cap.

Street drain the system final time, use the Blue ice decent stuff.
On the Water Wetter, I've used it in the past and won't in the future.
Multiple tests so little do no difference.

Track another whole story entirely.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts