Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into buying a 2007 zx-6r but wanted to know common problems to look for. I know that this year had problems with the head gasket covers (which if I have them changed does that fix the problem?) but wanted to know if there was anything else I should know about. I was also looking at a 2004 cbr 600rr but would much rather be riding a green ninja.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Valve cover gasket is a common problem, and if yours is leaking, take it to the dealer and get it fixed for free, since there is a recall on those, they will just need your VIN number.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
^ false!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
a few months for 07s (march-april i believe) had some heat treating problems in the valve train. other than that, and the valve cover gasket, i havent seen any major problems for 07s or 08s.

and dont listen to people who say 09+ are much better bikes. the only way you can really tell a difference is if youre a pro rider on a track...my 08 has made me very happy for the 5 years ive had it. never a problem.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Make this simple

Kawasaki had the best reputation from the 05-06 636. When that plug got pulled it seemed that they through the 07-08 together. Yes. It is the worst looking. Heaviest exhaust and lowest in power Didn't win any SSS shoot outs. And even the CBR looked better and I hate them. The Gsxr and r6 spank the 07-08. Gsxr even had ABC mode select. R6 is the best track bikes of those years and the Honda had the best suspension. So where did Kawi stand last. Mde the least power. I rode the 07 and when I got one it I was very disappointed. Lack on gitty up. Just all around thrown together.

09+. Ok more power big Showa piston forks side mount exhaust smaller lighter and won SS shoot outs and are beasts on the street or track. The power on the 09+ is smooth and don't have to be in a certain rpm to go. The gauge cluster is better as well. But these are just valid points. Of course people won't like it but it's true. I'll be told I'm wrong but I've been doing this for a while so take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
432 Posts
burnt toast is just butt hurt.
i think 07-08 is the best looking bike, but its all yer opinion.
the exhaust on 07-08 is about 1-2 pounds heavier... but it you gut the cat and get a slip-on then yer golden!!!!!!!!! and the under-tail exhaust looks way better!!!!!!!!!!!!
did you know that the 07-08 and the 09-10 have have the exact same dry weight........
so do the exhaust on a 07-08 and it will actually be lighter
also did you know they have the same motor? same throttle bodies. and exact same clutch!
also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you do the jumper mod then the 07-08 and the 09-10 only have 1hp difference
also stunters swap to the 07-08 front suspension all the time because they are strong and 07-10 have the exact same rear suspension
Kawasaki makes a great product, there was nvr a bad zx6r. get what you like!
burttoast is just a fuck

what the hell are you talking about the 09-10 cluster being better?!?!?!!?!!!!! the fuck!?!?!!!?

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
About the biggest problem with an 07.....the previous owner(s)

What did they do with it?
How did they maintain it?
Was it crashed and repaired hap hazzardly?
And of course it is used so parts are worn and not fresh.

Oh yeah then the kickstand is a bit long and they are prone to tipping over when parked not just so...

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
the exhaust on 07-08 is about 1-2 pounds heavier... but it you gut the cat and get a slip-on then yer golden!!!!!!!!! and the under-tail exhaust looks way better!!!!!!!!!!!!
did you know that the 07-08 and the 09-10 have have the exact same dry weight........
also did you know they have the same motor? same throttle bodies. and exact same clutch!
also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you do the jumper mod then the 07-08 and the 09-10 only have 1hp difference
also stunters swap to the 07-08 front suspension all the time because they are strong and 07-10 have the exact same rear suspension
burttoast is just a fuck

what the hell are you talking about the 09-10 cluster being better?!?!?!!?!!!!! the fuck!?!?!!!?
The simple answer for the cluster question is it looks way better hence the green in the rpm range not butt hurt at all. My points are completely valid and I've rode them ad not impressed in the least and again they finished last in the SS shoot out inmost categories. Great bike:headbang:

·
Registered
432 Posts
so you can pay a bunch to say yer bike did good on some ss shoot out and have a bike with cute colored cluster... or you can get a 07 and save all that money. then gut yer headers, buy a slip-on and a PC5. still spend less and be able to outrun a 09-10 zx6r

burnttoast is butt hurt

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
so you can pay a bunch to say yer bike did good on some ss shoot out and have a bike with cute colored cluster... or you can get a 07 and save all that money. then gut yer headers, buy a slip-on and a PC5. still spend less and be able to outrun a 09-10 zx6r

burnttoast is butt hurt
I guess getting a 09 for 6k with pipe pcm low miles bmc filter brand new tires and mint is a bad deal. Hmmm must be losing it. Yes the gauge cluster is something you focus on while riding and the 09+ is better to look at not plain. Yes the ss shootout is a good base line to hear what people think of the bikes and reviews and sorry the 07-08 are last. If that was my bike id do exactly what your doing and defend it. Lol

·
Registered
457 Posts
About the biggest problem with an 07.....the previous owner(s)

What did they do with it?
How did they maintain it?
Was it crashed and repaired hap hazzardly?
And of course it is used so parts are worn and not fresh.

Oh yeah then the kickstand is a bit long and they are prone to tipping over when parked not just so...
I believe this is what happened to my bike before I bought it. It isn't that obvious but since I worked on it this winter, I took off the stand and cut her down a little bit to give her a nice comfortable lean when parked.

·
Registered
432 Posts
this forum has nothing to do with you get a good or bad deal on yer bike. if yer butt hurt about the deal you got on yer bike dont complain to us, go bitch to yer boyfriend.

·
Registered
432 Posts
so you bought yer bike with a PCM on it.... why did the previous owner buy that PCM? cuz he wanted it to go faster..... cuz he was driving the piss out of it. why did he put new tires on it? cuz he burnt up the old ones by driving the piss out of it in less then 6,000 miles!!!!!

burnt toast is butt hurt

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
so you bought yer bike with a PCM on it.... why did the previous owner buy that PCM? cuz he wanted it to go faster..... cuz he was driving the piss out of it. why did he put new tires on it? cuz he burnt up the old ones by driving the piss out of it in less then 6,000 miles!!!!!

burnt toast is butt hurt
Hmmmmm didn't no my bike had 6000 miles. ?? News to me. Tires don't last for ever. He bought the pcm.cause it's a common mod and gives prefect a/f mix for the supporting mods I have them on my zx10 and my zx14. Also it has a exhaust and bmc filter?? So it's called being a good owner aware of your bike and what prevents problem. Geez must have bought a lemon lol:headbang:

·
Registered
119 Posts
To answer the original question:

Valve cover gasket- Check to make sure this was done. (Or, do what I did, but one that has a new engine because the PO DIDNT do the recall)

My clutch cable wore out after 10000 miles. I've heard that this is common for this year.

My CCT made a lot of noise right around the 15000 mark. I replaced it with a manual. CCTs on Kawis always make noise tho, so I wouldn't consider this an "07-08" issue.

I've never ridden another 600cc Kawi of any other year, so I can't comment on the power difference. I will tell you that my 2007 6R makes a lot more power than my 2007 250R did. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,194 Posts
Make this simple

Kawasaki had the best reputation from the 05-06 636.
I disagree with this actually.

In 03 the Kawasaki ZX6R and RR were dominating in the shootouts. The RR was taking podium finishes left and right in AMA, and they had just introduced inverted forks.

At its launch this machine was the hardest, most technologically advanced 600 of all time, boasting radial brakes, upside-down forks and fully digital clocks alongside fuel-injection, a lap timer and all wrapped up in a tiny, tight chassis and plastics.
Kawasaki ZX-6R (2003-2004) - Kawasaki Motorcycle Reviews

I am not just saying this because I am partial to my 04 but because it's a fact. That design changed their reputation as a whole and carried them into 05 which, IMO was a bit of a decline.

Reactions: Burnt toast

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
burttoast is just a fuck

The ONE thing that some of you guys don't get is that the only fair way to do an apples to apples comparison is to do it stock vs stock. The 09+ was a better performing bike, in stock form, period. There is no discussion about it.

ANY points you guys think you're making when you talk about speed with modified is really more a question of how deep your pockets are. You can buy a 600 and put 5k in it and maybe it'll be as fast as a 1000. But if you do identical mods on both the 1000 is still faster. The problem with this argument is that it doesn't mean anything.

I used to listen to this crap all the time with cars. "Yeah but if you get a blower on <insert car here> it would make more power and be faster than <insert car here>" :jack

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
The ONE thing that some of you guys don't get is that the only fair way to do an apples to apples comparison is to do it stock vs stock. The 09+ was a better performing bike, in stock form, period. There is no discussion about it.

ANY points you guys think you're making when you talk about speed with modified is really more a question of how deep your pockets are. You can buy a 600 and put 5k in it and maybe it'll be as fast as a 1000. But if you do identical mods on both the 1000 is still faster. The problem with this argument is that it doesn't mean anything.

I used to listen to this crap all the time with cars. "Yeah but if you get a blower on <insert car here> it would make more power and be faster than <insert car here>" :jack
Bbelieve me I know what I'm talking about. Just the other guy had no clue and just made the conversation look dumber then it was. It's hard explaining to challenged people like him. But I do see where you are coming from. I was just making valid points

1 - 20 of 26 Posts