Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was reading a article in SportRider titled 'stop wasting time using the clutch to upshift' this raised some questions for me.... Help

i knew this was possible for cars as well as bike.. but alway thought it was some that was frowned upon...

is this something used in common practice or more reseved for the track?? i dunno...

heres the article you can read for yourself[if you like] http://www.sportrider.com/ride/RSS/146_0409_sport_bike_clutchless_upshifting/

some responses would be much appreciated
chadmanbrown :cool2:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Lots of people shift without the clutch from 2nd up all the time, some always use the clutch. Really just personal preference. Its totally different on bikes vs cars. On cars its virtually impossible to shift without the clutch, but on bikes with their constant mesh gear boxes its quite a simple matter. Of course it most likely does increase wear and if done poorly will definately increase wear.

I never really use the clutch to shift except from 1st to 2nd on the MX bike and have never had a transmission problem. I don't even let up on the throttle, just bang it up a gear and it works:)

On my sport bike I typically use the clutch just out of habit, but shift without the clutch a bit too. For general street riding I think its probably best to use the clutch, but its worth knowing how to shift without it as well. For a street bike, you pre-load the shifter lightly, then quickly back off on the throttle and it should snick right into the next gear without much if any extra force.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I don't use the clutch all the time either when up-shifting. ALWAYS when going 1st - 2nd but from there usually clutchless shifts for me. Only real exception is in trafic / town where i use it again to gain a little control and smoothness.
I have been doing this since i was a kid on my motorcross bikes and NEVER had problem so far. I even sometimes go clutchless when downsnifting on those mad moments and on trackdays but , to be honest this isn't recommended as it needs a GOOD throttle blip and some spot on timing to avoid lock-ups and crunching!

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I use the clutch 99.1% of the time. Only when taking a high speed burl I will rarely not use the clutch and that's just if I'm feeling lazy. I think it's just personal preference but I'll take the clutch, thanks.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I use the clutch... it's there so ill use it.. tranny's get expensive to replace gears and forks...(ask me how I know)...Unless your racing and rebuilding the engine often, I would say its not worth it..

Click for big un's

(parts of my last TLR's tranny)

·
Registered
617 Posts
I have to agree with you crotchrckttl, I've also seen first hand the kind of wear clutchless shifting causes. Use the clutch, it has a purpose!.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the feedback people, what would i do with you!!

looks like a personal preference thing with people on both sides..
clutch vs clutchless

SHOULD BE OUR NEXT POLL! :banana

:cool2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
clutchless shifts

you can do clutchless shifts, the trannys were designed for it. you can also clutchless shif in your car, but it bends the syncronizers. but in your bike it is fine if you do it right. but of you do it wrong, you will bend your shift forks. i do from 2nd up a lot of times. but i use clutch from 1-2 since there is neutran in the middle.

just preload your shifter, roll off throttle kinda quick (just a little), shift, then roll back on. it wont hurt for you to try it. if you try it for a while and then still cand do it fairly smooth then i would stop so that you dont bend the shift forks. but it is ok. i even clutchless shift down a lot as well.

it does make it easier if you have gp shifting in my opinion

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Holy thread revival batman
I'll say :laugh

....... but of you do it wrong, you will bend your shift forks.......

just preload your shifter,
Preloading the shifter, that's doing it wrong, unless you need those extra 10ths of a second to get to work in the morning. Preloading is what bends and wears out the shifter forks. I guess the thread was about street riding and not looking for 10ths on the track :dunno

1 - 13 of 13 Posts