Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just purchased a 2006 zx6r, has higher miles on it around 32000.

On test ride all gears worked fine but in second it would go in gear fine with no grinds, but around 30mph the bike would slip to neutral. Some times it would slip and grab agian. I have talked to a few people and from my personal experiance it seems like a burn up clutch, (Some one dumping it into second) but i have a friend who it turned out to be he had to replace the whole second gear. Clutch= cheaper but have any of you had this problem or heard of it?

Also when i changed the oil, who knows how old oil it was, it smelled burnt, and with new standard oil it didnt slip as easily but problem is still there.

·
Registered
12,981 Posts
I had the same problem when I got my bike. My transmission was busted so any time I would give it throttle in 2nd it would jerk and jump to 3rd, and then 4th. I switched out the gears and forks in the transmission and its been perfect ever since. It aint easy to do if youre not good mechanically. Most people just replace their engine with a used one...its easier.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I can run hard throttle in 1,3,4,5,6 with no problems. So its kinda weird problem. I was told the bike had been sitting for awhile so who knows. Only had the bike for a week and havent rode it much since the front rotors are warped, so stopping is kind sketch haha New ones come in tomorrow

I am pretty mechanically inclined, Clutch is easier and cheaper than a trans kit, though i did find a full kit on ebay off a used bike for 140, which isnt bad.

I got a good price on the bike so dumping a little into it is what i expected.

·
Registered
12,981 Posts
Congrats on the bike but ya... 2nd and 3rd gear on our bikes are known to go bad. Post some pics of your bike....the guys on here get horny off of it haha.

·
Registered
12,981 Posts
Damn thats a nice price for that bike...minus the messed up transmission lol. The rear looks like its been lowered bigtime btw. Raise it up and itll look a lot nicer.Looks like the stator cover is also aftermarket. Was the cat included? haha

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nah the cat was from a deal while back haha, It did seem like the bike was a lot lower in the rear than others i have sat on. I sold my 89 katana 600 then two days later bought this thing, I didnt plan on buying another bike but it was a hell of a deal really.

So you would say its the gear, not the clutch?

·
Registered
441 Posts
2nd gear is done. From what I've read, it's cheaper to buy a used tranny than it is to fix it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The transmission is built into the engine. So its either replace the whole engine or fix it yourself.
That's what I meant :oops:

When I say cheaper, I mean labor wise lol.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
That bike looks a heckuva lot cleaner than the 06 I paid $2100 for, lol. Well, aside from the clutch/tranny issue. Nice find!

·
Registered
224 Posts
zx10r transmission will not work in a 6r, there are few things that will like clutch springs, clutch puller level, clutch fibers and steels, but that's about it.

To the OP, it sounds like you have a bent shift forks, what it does is goes in the 2nd gear, but not all the way and pops out under acceleration. I just sold a transmission out of an 05 zx6r, but I still have shifting forks, cases for sale.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
But what happens is it pops out but then drops right back in. example.....

shift to second..... power power slight slip(24mph) power power more slip (27mph) 30mph slip power slip power slip power, Neutral light flashes when it slips.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And if i give it to much throttle it just slips completely to neutral

Probably just going to ride it as is. and skip second gear

·
Registered
224 Posts
The more you ride, the more damage you do. I had a guy do the same here few years back on a yamaha, beat the shit out of the bike, started having 2 gear issues, well I just skip 2nd, then one night his rear wheel locked up. Lets just say changing that shifting fork was going to be so much cheaper than hospital bills. He doesn't ride anymore.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You said she have some for sale? Whats the price? Not saying i am going to buy them or not, I am probably going to try to sell it for more than i paid. Who knows lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When you split the case, does the crank have to come out to? I have been looking at the manual but cant tell if it does or doesnt.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts