Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode my son's 2006 today as we traded to see if he could feel the difference in cornering as my 2007 is not lowered and his is. I was thinking of lowering mine as I have to "tippie-toe" but after reading posts and how f'ing time consuming it is to do I am having second thoughts.
Anyway I decided to take his for a spin. SHIT!!
The bike sounds OK with the clutch disengaged, but once I let out the lever in neutral it makes a sound....can't really describe it, not grinding, not sqeaking..........maybe garbley or gravely??
Pretty sure it's not normal, my 2007 does not make it.
We're not hard on our bikes & it seems to shift ok, and he take it on the freeway without issues.

Hoping it's just time to replace the clutch and not something more serious.

Anybody know, or have opinions?

·
Registered
948 Posts
I think i know what your talking about. Mine makes the same noise.
I let out the lever in neutral, it make a little noise. Not really sure why. But mine has been making the same noise for thousands and thousands of miles.
I have 42k on my 2006 and never replaced the clutch. And i run my bike really hard.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If it's the sound I'm thinking of i'm pretty sure it is normal, got my 05 with 2800 on the clock and now at about 6k and it's always had sort of a rattle sound with the clutch engaged.

·
Registered
229 Posts
i've no idea if this would even apply, but i had a explorer once and the welds broke on the heat shield when sitting at a light in drive it rattled. 2 of 4 welds came loost and for weeks i thought my tranny went bad, yet it drove fine.

It could be something like this on the bike happening. Some weld somewhere innocuous came loose and rattles when the engine is under load. take a look around with the farings off and the engine running(put bike on a stand) perhaps in first gear and see if you can locate the sound. if all else fails hold a stethoscope to the engine or tranny and see if you can locate the sound.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Put in in neutral, walk around the bike to the front and see if the noise you're talking about is coming from the air intake. Mine does the same and been doing so since I've had it. No problems in the past 8000 miles. Its is a growly kind of noise and only in neutral, something to do with the way throttle bodies are positioned when in neutral.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I hear ya man. Can't really say if its normal, since i dont know how loud your son's clutch is. But, mine is NOT very loud. But i can still hear it. And my bike still shifts really good like your talking about. If you have the correct adjustment in your clutch, at the clip on, and at the clutch cover, i would'nt worry about it. I have the same bike as your son, and like i said, i have ran the piss out of my bike ( mostly in the twisties) and never had a problem or replaced my clutch.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
My 05 does that too. Only in neutral and only with the clutch engaged. I'm pretty sure its just the sound of the transmission rolling. Makes the same sound as the KZ650 transmission when I spin it in neutral.

uploadfromtaptalk1364096951023.jpg

·
Registered
740 Posts
if you want it to go away just adjust the clutch cable to were when let off lever it doesnt let clutch engage as much, just adjust it while idling until it goes away-should only take a few turns. I would leave it though, just means your clutch plate is getting maximum friction when engaged.

This is also the same reason (if back of bike is on stand) your rear wheel will spin a little while in neutral.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts