Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know how to adjust the clutch bite point out farther? So it engages/disengages out farther from the handle bar? Not the free play, I know how to adjust that, but the actual bit point is what im looking to adjust out. Any advice? Thanks fellas!

· Registered
2022 ZX-6R KRT ABS
266 Posts
What year do you have? Later years came with adjustable levers, which I personally dislike -- complexity and weight (and cost -- I already had to replace one) with no real gain for me...

Vehicle Motor vehicle Font Automotive design Automotive lighting

· Registered
2004-20-23 636
387 Posts
Yea I agree with rich. Not a fan of the new levers. The older levers felt and works so much better. I needed up aftermarket when mine screwed up.
I tell ya I have had a lot of bikes over the years and never untill the 2020 have I had a lever mess up and need replaced lol.

but to the original poster I’d highly suggest you take a little time and just thumb through your owners manual. If you don’t know how the levers work there is prob a few things you could learn from just reading the manual

· Registered
23 Posts
Been here except wanted the opposite (closer to the handles) I ended up just following the manual's reco at 3mm freeplay for me since i wanted it to "feel closer" Then just gave up, practiced til i got used to it. I dont really think you can adjust the bite point, but you can adjust how OPEN/CLOSED your hands are during clutch operation though moving the freeplay. (more freeplay, more curled hands, less freeplay, more strethced out hand.) The entire friction zone's size cannot be changed to tighter or more forgiving etc. My hands are small so i tried increasing the freeplay to get the lever closer to me, didnt like it because i could no longer 2 finger operate the clutch since it hits my knuckles but still bites. so i just went back to OEM 3mm.

I think the less freeplay you have, the further/furthest your hand feels, thus also how your bitepoint feels too. Not sure if i explained correctly but youre not adjusting the bitepoint, youre adjusting "How your hand feels", i.e. the more stretched out it is, the more it feels like the bite point is further right?

In your case you could try 1-2mm freeplay to make your hand feel more stretched and bring that leverage further out. But as for bite point thats pretty much undoable.

· Registered
9,625 Posts
Adjustable levers do not change the engagement point!

All they do is change how far from the grip the lever is

To effectively change the engagement point you either need to;

change the distance from pin to pivot of the lever (changing the ratio)
or
change the way the clutch release lever interacts with the clutch release rod or........... the angle in which the clutch release lever orients to the clutch cover perch the cable goes through

those are the only 3 "easy" ways

Reactions: Scumbag

· Registered
2004-20-23 636
387 Posts
Adjustable levers do not change the engagement point!

All they do is change how far from the grip the lever is

To effectively change the engagement point you either need to;

change the distance from pin to pivot of the lever (changing the ratio)
or
change the way the clutch release lever interacts with the clutch release rod or........... the angle in which the clutch release lever orients to the clutch cover perch the cable goes through

those are the only 3 "easy" ways
Yea we tried explaining this when the kid above made his post trying to move the engagement point. But he somehow says he got it by changing the adjustment. So in a few months they will be making post on how to replace there clutch lol.

· Registered
2022 ZX-6R KRT ABS
266 Posts
The levers look like they allow about 3/8" or so of finger position difference for the same cable position.

(I.e., on lever position 1, your fingers will be 3/8" farther from the bar when the cable goes tight than on lever position 5, where I keep mine...)

I'm pretty sure this means that the "business zone" of the clutch will also be 3/8" farther away from the bar -- what I think the OP wanted?

Did I get something wrong there? (All I ever did was adjust my levers to be like my un-adjustable ones on my N400! :))

I'm pretty sure the lever position number is the way to adjust things -- and the cable free play of 2-3mm should never be used for this purpose!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts