Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike won't shift up at higher rpms. Started out having a problem occasionally at the top of higher gears only, now it's not shifting up in pretty much any gear over maybe 8k rpms. Clutch cable was just adjusted at a shop. Any ideas or things to try before taking out back to the shop??

·
Registered
257 Posts
One quick thing to double check is the slack in your clutch cable just to make sure the shop got it right and/or nothing has changed since then. A good rule of thumb IMO is to have between 1.7mm and 2mm of slack at the lever. (Approx the thickness of a U.S. Nickel)

If you're unsure how to check the slack I've provided my two cents...
Below is a picture i found online pointing out which gap to check (middle arrow of the three). Grasp the lever gently until it stops, don't pull it like you would when changing gear, just a gentle draw with your fingertips to pull the slack out of the cable.

If a nickel fits snugly in the gap then it's in the right ball park, obviously a little bit on the tight or loose side doesn't matter, but if there is too big of a gap then there is a possibility that your cable is too loose and not fully disengaging the clutch which could result in difficulty changing gears.

If your cable is in spec and your lever is not bent (a bent lever can prevent a full clutch pull) you can always inspect the other end of the cable just to make sure that everything is moving smoothly and is not showing signs of wear.

Generally if your clutch cable is adjusted correctly then the problem is elsewhere. Difficult to diagnose without being able to check it out first hand, the shop may be your best bet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Clutch slack looks good, and I'm not venturing into pulling the clutch without the proper know how. Looks like it's back to the shop. Oh well...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thanks guys. Clutch slack looks good, and I'm not venturing into pulling the clutch without the proper know how. Looks like it's back to the shop. Oh well...
No problemo, let us know what they find

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
My bike won't shift up at higher rpms. Started out having a problem occasionally at the top of higher gears only, now it's not shifting up in pretty much any gear over maybe 8k rpms. Clutch cable was just adjusted at a shop. Any ideas or things to try before taking out back to the shop??
Another thing I would check is to make sure your shifter linkage moves freely. The typical indication of a problem of this sort is when it won't shift -- usually people notice it on the down shift more often than an upshift, tho.

FWIW, get a can of spray lubricant (white lithium grease if possible) and soak the pivot of the shifter lever at the peg end. Then, pull back the rubber boot over the ball joints on either end of the shifter rod. You'll also need to get the actual rod going into the transmission -- that round rubber gasket can get sticky.

The shifter works on a racheting pawl sort of set up. When you pull up or down on the lever, the internal mechanism is supposed to move the shift dog, then pop back to a neutral state so it can then go through the same range of motion on another shift dog. If it hangs up, it will not allow the next shift.

Stomping on the shifter doesn't really help. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts