Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a motion pro clutch cable last night. I can't get the adjustment right. I ran it behind the frame along side of the air box (I think this is how the last one was on there). It just seems like the cable is either slightly too long or the routing is off slightly. I can get it to work but I have to adjust the silver adjuster knob at the lever out almost all the way (there is only like one thread into the perch). Any ideas? Is there supposed to be any slack at the lever that goes into the clutch basket (where the other end of the clutch attaches to)? or should it be right at the point where any clutch lever pull will start to engage the clutch? I don't know if that makes sense it is kind of hard to explain what I mean. Right now it is routed so the cable comes up before the steering stem head part of the frame. Should I try running it to behind the stem part of the frame and then come up to the perch? :O I'd appreciate any help. Pics would be useful.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I did that last night. It was like if I adjusted it there it gave me too much slack up top. I'll run out there right now and try that again though. I'll be back shortly. thx

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
If you adjusted it at the rod and it resulted in MORE slack at the lever you are adjusting it the wrong way.

Screw IN the adjustment knob at the lever all the way to produce as much slack as possible. Then TIGHTEN at the rod to at least the halfway point. Then go back to the lever and use the knob for a final fine adjustment.

·
Registered
17,933 Posts
yep you should try adjusting it at the clutch end.

& next time you buy a clutch cable or any cable, get an OEM.
@ 30,000 miles I replaced my stock clutch cable with a Motion-Pro,
5,000 miles later I noticed it was broken down to just 2 strands holding.
I put the old stock cable back on & used it for another week or so until I got another stock/OEM cable.
That was 23,000 miles ago.

·
Registered
17,933 Posts
If you adjusted it at the rod and it resulted in MORE slack at the lever you are adjusting it the wrong way.

Screw IN the adjustment knob at the lever all the way to produce as much slack as possible. Then TIGHTEN at the rod to at least the halfway point. Then go back to the lever and use the knob for a final fine adjustment.
Thats it :thumbup:

Reactions: Ebster1085

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it! I think you were right, last time I adjusted it at the rod end I either was adjusting too much at a time or I was going the wrong way with it :coocoo
Thanks guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts