Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put on new levers a few weeks back. Recently my clutch has been slipping but only when I get on it. I just looked and there was no free play. Did some reading and seen this can be it. Could it be this easy? Was about to order a clutch. 01 zx6r. 22k miles

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I put on new levers a few weeks back. Recently my clutch has been slipping but only when I get on it. I just looked and there was no free play. Did some reading and seen this can be it. Could it be this easy? Was about to order a clutch. 01 zx6r. 22k miles
Yes, the lever should have some free play in it, otherwise your clutch might not fully engage (hence the slipping):

Attachments

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
^^ this.

Your clutch should be good for many many more miles. I had to do a physical repair on the linkage which works my clutch, and while I had it all apart had to measure the plates for wear. At more than 27,000 miles, my plates were all at the maximum value (no wear indicated), except for two which were still above the mid point of the allowable wear range.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Make sure you have nickel size space between the lever, perch if its to tight it will cause clutch slippage and wear out clutch fast.
That's what I have read. Is this space when I'm not even touching the bike or when I give it a little pull before the actual cable moves?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also I had my bike on the stand the other day and when I started it in neutral, giving it gas spun the rear wheel very slightly. Would this be from the cable being to tight?

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
That's what I have read. Is this space when I'm not even touching the bike or when I give it a little pull before the actual cable moves?
You should have that space without tension on the lever.

Also I had my bike on the stand the other day and when I started it in neutral, giving it gas spun the rear wheel very slightly. Would this be from the cable being to tight?
Could be from cable to tight or clutch plates wore out either way try the cable first see if that helps if not pull the clutch out and inspect plates for wear.

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
No that is normal, nothing to worry about there.

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Had this same issue with a frayed cable lol. My second gear seems to be a bit on the fritz maybe, since it likes to go "BRAAAAAAAHPAAAAAAAAHPAAAAAAAAHPAAAAAAAAHPAAAAAAAH.... you get the idea haha, under hard acceleration. Maybe the carbs tho, since I don't really do much hard accelerating after second cuz I'll be in trip digits right away....

THREAD JACK = OVER :laugh

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Nope, that is normal. The viscosity of the oil surrounding all the internal parts at close tolerances causes it to do that due to the fluid mechanics (boundary layer effect).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts