Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Typical my dash decides to throw a wobbly 4 days before a track day!!!

It’s a 2010 ZX6R, when turned on the dash lights up but displays no info, the neutral light works.
I’ve checked all plugs and wires and nothing obvious.
If you disconnect the dash, start the bike up and then plug the dash in it works for all of about 5 seconds.

Any ideas? My thoughts are the unit itself, the internet also suggests possible stator/rec issues?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked the voltage and at idle it’s running 14.8vdc need to check it at a few revs tomorrow but now I’m thinking it might be the regulator

·
Registered
628 Posts
The bike doesn't need the cluster to run. 14.8 is a little high but still within operating range. I have never seen a cluster go bad as a result of a RR/stator, but there's a first time for everything. I have a spare odo or two laying around somewhere for the 09-12 as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ran it up again today and it was showing 14.95vdc ay idle
The clocks would work if you connected them after you had started the bike but as soon as you gave it some revs they’d go blank again.

Ill report back tomorrow with the new regulator rectifier fitted.

·
Registered
13,067 Posts
I ran it up again today and it was showing 14.95vdc ay idle
The clocks would work if you connected them after you had started the bike but as soon as you gave it some revs they’d go blank again.

Ill report back tomorrow with the new regulator rectifier fitted.
The OEM R/R is a shunt design.... That means it has to dump the extra power into an internal resistor to be consumed. The resistor has to be in a complete circuit before it can consume power.

Make sure your ground wires have good clean connections.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Replaced the reg/rec and done a trackday yesterday, perfect all day long, though I’m still not 100% that was the cause of the fault, only time will tell I guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts