Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've recently grabbed a 1994 zx6E from a barn that sat for a number of years.

2 quick questions. can I use carb cleaner on the plastic holders and screens inside attached to the fuel hose in the gas tank (the 2 fittings on the bottom for main line and reserve)

also for the main jet should I be able to see all the way through it just wondering if it is clogged up completely or is supposed to be that way.

see.pics below and thanks for the input.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
Obviously the fuel tank is full of shit looking at the course screens for the fuel lines

That is the "emulsion tube" not the main fuel jet........ and no you should not be able to see through it on this style of emulsion tube........

The main fule jet is the small piece you unscrewed from the end of the emulsion tube, should have a number on it like. 140 or something like that for that era of bike....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey Riverszzr,

thanks for the reply. the tank is actually empty now and I shook a bunch of rusty colored dust out of it. there certainly was gas in it as some point. I tried some spray carb cleaner and it started to do the trick I think just didn't want to destroy it.

thanks again

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
hey Riverszzr,

thanks for the reply. the tank is actually empty now and I shook a bunch of rusty colored dust out of it. there certainly was gas in it as some point. I tried some spray carb cleaner and it started to do the trick I think just didn't want to destroy it.

thanks again
You absolutely need to clean the tank out (and not with aerosol carb cleaner)........ Once you add fuel that shit is just straight into the carbs and you will always be in the losing positiion of trying to make and keep the bike running well

But be sure and clean the carbs well too, even though that emulsion tube looks pretty clean, I also would replace all the o-rings! I am sure they will be dried out and insufficient to do the job they need to do......

·
Registered
20 Posts
Regards to your fuel tank; You can use about 1ltre of fuel and either stones or nuts as an agitator to remove a lot of the crap on the inside.
Put the nuts ( or stones.. i prefer nuts) into the fuel tank. block off any lines and shake like the living day lights out if it. The more you do the more comes out. Flush out the contaminated fuel and reuse the nuts until no more debris comes out of the tank.

Then if you have the time which i feel is well worth it. use a tank sealent that prevents more rusting and possibe contamination in the tank.

Just be sure to dry out the inside of the tank once youve fininshed each step to make sure its as clean as possible as Riverszzr mentioned you will be on a loosing battle with the carbs blocking up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey MECALDER, that is a good looking bike and good luck with your project! Way back when - I put a lot of miles on ZX-6E’s.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Take a bicycle shifter cable and unwind some strands to use on that emulsion tube and the jets to get them cleaned out. I’ve heard good things about ultrasonic cleaning carbs but my last set of carbs that looked that bad got completely torn down and “carb dipped” that stuff is some of the most vile smelling toxic stuff I’ve ever used...

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
Take a bicycle shifter cable and unwind some strands to use on that emulsion tube and the jets to get them cleaned out. I’ve heard good things about ultrasonic cleaning carbs but my last set of carbs that looked that bad got completely torn down and “carb dipped” that stuff is some of the most vile smelling toxic stuff I’ve ever used...

DO NOT shove any wire through any of the carbs!!!!!!!!! That is just fucking idiotically stupid advice and will change the size and shape of the orfice for which the fuel gets metered!!!!!!! fucking stupid

·
Registered
37 Posts
DO NOT shove any wire through any of the carbs!!!!!!!!! That is just fucking idiotically stupid advice and will change the size and shape of the orfice for which the fuel gets metered!!!!!!! fucking stupid
C’mon man look at that emulsion tube. I’m not talking about reaming out things have you seen how fine a single wire of a bicycle shifter cable is?? You’re more likely than to pierce your skin than damage the orfice on a jet or emulsion tube. I’ve gotten a LOT of crap out of the emulsion tubes that way. Sure suggesting something like this to a ham fist will likely yield ham fisted results.

·
Registered
37 Posts
-

There is a piece of shifter cable in this photo for reference in one of the emulsification holes on the side of this pilot jet.

A single strand of shifter cable is less than 0.2mm thick and will pass through a 38 pilot jet without resistance, will easily pass through a main jet and emulsion tube side holes. Yes you’re cleaning a brass orfice and have to be cautious of altering the size and shape, but it’s proven to be an effective method with the use of carb cleaning chemicals in the many many carberated bikes i have rescued and “mostly” just had to clean the carbs to get running again. I’ve read several of your posts Riverss I understand you’re a skilled tech, and I’m “new” to this forum, but I’ve been riding and wrenching on bikes for 20years. I’ve owned more carberated toys for than not, I’ve rebuilt motors, and I’ve done a LOT of carb tuning. I’ve used wide band O2 sensors to validate my carb tuning at different throttle positions. I’m not an expert but I’m no dummy either.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
Do you personally know the OP is not a hack who doesn't know anyhting?
Do you know who the next idiot to come along and read the thread and see this idiotically stupid suggestion has any brainpower and common sense and mechanical abilities and wont make his bike worse off??????

YOU DO NOT!

Most anything in the last couple decades has a pilot jet sub size 20, and while this zx6E may have a 35 pilot jet only a couple strokes from any moron using steel wire of any size will alter its shape and change fueling- and I highly doubt they would even remotely keep all four consistent....

So you can make whatever very unsubstantiated claims you want about how "you know" or how "you've done"........ I think you know dick shit like most all the dumbs who do stupid ass shit like this at home and then profess it is perfect......... When I could easily disprove your failed "perfect" with just 15 minutes with any bike you have done this to!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Holy crap man, drink an extra dose of Keyboard Slayer sauce?

Original poster, best of luck getting your bike running, remember this is an Internet forum best to follow the directions of the dick yelling loudest.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts

Original poster, best of luck getting your bike running, remember this is an Internet forum best to follow the directions of the dick yelling loudest.
Well atleast you understand I am the smartest man in the conversation with the most experience and have the only valid points and advice...............!

fyi.......... I haven't even started yelling YET!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Take a bicycle shifter cable and unwind some strands to use on that emulsion tube and the jets to get them cleaned out.
That's a terrible idea. The bicycle cable is steel, the jets are brass. The steel cable strand is much harder than the brass and fairly rough in texture. It is completely capable of carving up the bore of the jet with little effort. If you need a wire to unclog jets (which I agree is sometimes necessary), use BRASS wire so it will not harm the jet passages.

riverszzr does tend to get worked up when bad advice is being handed out.

In this case the dick yelling the loudest is also by far the most qualified to hand out advice to OP, regardless of your experience.

Mark

·
Registered
37 Posts
a fine brass wire would be a safer choice, where have you sourced what you’ve used? What would be the best choice of tank cleaner chemical ? I know there’s tank prep kits out there by POR15 and Kreem. I’ve heard of the nuts and bolts trick, and that it works ok.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mr. BeE-
Using stones or nuts and shaking the tank to clean it out sounds like an interesting idea. But do you mean steel hex nuts? Or California almonds? Or - - -? Just curious. What is the inside of a gas tank finished with? Do we need to avoid damaging/scratching it up?

Just in case I ever need to do this.

Cheers -

1 - 16 of 16 Posts