Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

All of a sudden after cleaning my rear brake caliper (removed, cleaned pistons) the back wheel makes a really loud clnking (like metal on metal) sound randomly every five seconds or so, I have only noticed it at low speed, under 15mph - maybe Im just not hearing it at speed or its just low speed issue.

I have it on stand and cant see any problems.

Any advice?

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Since you just cleaned your brake caliper, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it's the brake caliper clanking around :yes

They always do that a bit, but probably you loosened it up a bit more than normal by cleaning off all the grunge that was holding it in place as well. Try going out again and, while going slowly, brake mostly or completely with the rear and see if you hear it then.

Edit: Actually, since you've got it on the stand right now, don't go ride it, just grab onto the rear caliper and yank it around a little - I'm guessing you'll hear the same clanking sound you heard while riding. Let us know what you find out

Reactions: 40acres

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Have you put the bike on a stand and spun the tire in an attempt to locate the noise? Not recommended, but put it up on the stands and pop it into 1st and see if you can here the noise?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:

I have just been doing some tests. When I brake hard with the back brake the wheel locks up and then just before it does there is the clank loud as ever.

Like the rear shock is clanking every time it moves down

Stumped

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
It's not going to fix itself. Did you get the caliper back on the guide on the swingarm properly? And you got all your spacers in properly? And did you get 1 brake pad on each side of the rotor or both pads on the same side? How tight is your chain? Rotate your wheel on the stand and check your chain slack at several spots.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I'm guessing you have the caliper bracket installed incorrectly. This is very easy to get out of whack if you aren't paying attention while fighting to get the rear wheel back on.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
now that you mention it, I do not remember putting the caliper back on the guide, but surely It wouldnt have let me put it on unless it was on the guide? Will go check...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just checked, there are no guides on the swingarm for this caliper. just bolts onto a bracket which itsself is bolted onto the arm.

bolts on with two hex bolts no guides.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Welp, something isn't right. Might be a good idea to go back through everything and double check. I'd be weary about riding it until you get this sorted.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
just checked, there are no guides on the swingarm for this caliper. just bolts onto a bracket which itsself is bolted onto the arm.

bolts on with two hex bolts no guides.
I've never seen a motorcycle without a guide. If it doesn't have a guide to hold the caliper in place it's just going to move all over the place when you hit the brake. All ZX6Rs have a guide. As mentioned what year is your bike and maybe you could take some pictures of your caliper position from the side and from the rear so we can see your spacers and pads?

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
That's what I asked twice already and instead of answering the question he goes out and rides the bike again. :)
Yup, that was my suggestion in the 2nd post already, but...:O

I've never seen a motorcycle without a guide. If it doesn't have a guide to hold the caliper in place it's just going to move all over the place when you hit the brake. All ZX6Rs have a guide. As mentioned what year is your bike and maybe you could take some pictures of your caliper position from the side and from the rear so we can see your spacers and pads?
Yeah, why don't you do that last part so we can help you out

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Well then it should definitely have a guide on the inside of the swingarm the caliper slides onto and a hole for the axle shaft to slide through

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Like so

·
Registered
400 Posts
I agree bike has to have a guide or what the hell is stabilizing the brake caliper to keep it in place? I've seen everyone tell you about. Ten times but I'll say it again check rear wheel alignment , make sure chain is well clean and well lubed

1 - 20 of 22 Posts