Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was 24, living in San Diego, recently married and without children.... I rode my bike almost exclusively. To the point that I put 52,000 miles on it in three years. To say I was a committed rider was a somewhat pale statement. California's version of four seasons was laughable. It was definitely colder in January but not extremely so. I got rained on 3 times. Once a year.

When we later relocated to western Washington state, temperatures were overall cooler, and it would drop below freezing for a few days per year, and it rained as much as 50% of the time. If I had been unwilling to ride wet and cold, I would have racked up less miles... Between the bikes I owned in Washington, I rode over 43K miles, in about 4 years.

Moved to Oregon.. 26K miles before I was forced to sell my FZ6, over about 4 years. Crashing the FZ, slowed me down for a few months.

Moved to Virginia, and have added over 50K in the last 8 on the ZX6. I don't ride on ice, and I try to avoid rain. Rain, is a concession to my wife.

I've added holiday weekends, to the times to be avoided. Too many people who are too self absorbed. Too many alert LEOs.

Hopefully, I'll make a run into West VA later this month to go see the radio telescopes. That's a bucket list thing.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
When I was 24, living in San Diego, recently married and without children.... I rode my bike almost exclusively. To the point that I put 52,000 miles on it in three years. To say I was a committed rider was a somewhat pale statement. California's version of four seasons was laughable. It was definitely colder in January but not extremely so. I got rained on 3 times. Once a year.

When we later relocated to western Washington state, temperatures were overall cooler, and it would drop below freezing for a few days per year, and it rained as much as 50% of the time. If I had been unwilling to ride wet and cold, I would have racked up less miles... Between the bikes I owned in Washington, I rode over 43K miles, in about 4 years.

Moved to Oregon.. 26K miles before I was forced to sell my FZ6, over about 4 years. Crashing the FZ, slowed me down for a few months.

Moved to Virginia, and have added over 50K in the last 8 on the ZX6. I don't ride on ice, and I try to avoid rain. Rain, is a concession to my wife.

I've added holiday weekends, to the times to be avoided. Too many people who are too self absorbed. Too many alert LEOs.

Hopefully, I'll make a run into West VA later this month to go see the radio telescopes. That's a bucket list thing.....
How did you feel about the roads and riding season Oregon had to offer? Not being able to ride for usually a solid 3-4 months per year is depressing for me.

·
Registered
13,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Loved it. Just bought better gear. Light to non existent traffic, easy access to mountain roads... Everything that SoCal has road wise, with less people. I'd move back in a heartbeat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts