Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the very minor irritants with this car, has been the maintenance required indicator that lights every 5K miles. IIve learned how to reset that.

Yesterday, I got a check engine light.... First time for that, will check odometer tomorrow, for total miles. OBD code readers appear to be dirt cheap, seems like it would be worthwhile to put one in the toolbox.

The Eco indicator has gone dark, I'd expect that is an indication of some part of the system going south. Don't really want to put it in the shop, without more info.

Do parts store read codes for free?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I think autozone and o'reilly's will. At least they used to advertise such at the stores around here.

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
11,757 Posts
One of the very minor irritants with this car, has been the maintenance required indicator that lights every 5K miles. IIve learned how to reset that.

Yesterday, I got a check engine light.... First time for that, will check odometer tomorrow, for total miles. OBD code readers appear to be dirt cheap, seems like it would be worthwhile to put one in the toolbox.

The Eco indicator has gone dark, I'd expect that is an indication of some part of the system going south. Don't really want to put it in the shop, without more info.

Do parts store read codes for free?
Invest in a cheap actron, or there’s good, inexpensive ones all over amazon.

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
11,757 Posts

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Invest in a cheap actron, or there’s good, inexpensive ones all over amazon.
exactly what I asked my wife to do this morning..... she then turned around and spent $135 on a better unit. Typically why I don't like my wife to shop for stuff for me.

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
11,757 Posts
Better unit = more robust data.If it has live data, then its a good unit

Reactions: RJ2112 and WildCard

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For those playing along, the car has 124+K miles on the odometer. Should receive the OBD reader Friday. From there, it will become more apparent as to next steps.

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
11,757 Posts
The code reader is like Galactus. It knows all.

Reactions: Scorpi0

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My problem with code readers in general, is I have worked with Built In Test (BIT) systems, for many decades. They are good at finding routine faults. Not so much anything that was not predicted at the time the system was set up.

A typical contract for military systems states something along the lines of the 'BIT will identify 90% of faults'. This is carried through each descending level of procurement top to bottom. The flight line tech, has a 90% chance that the system will tell him what's really wrong. The box he pulls, and sends to intermediate maintenance.... the test bench has a 90% chance of IDing what's wrong with the box..... the circuit card assembly, tested on another level of the maintenance process..... 90% chance of it automatically IDing the fault.

I've spent my entire career, chasing that other 10%. Not a lot of faith in BIT. Some, but I have sure and certain knowledge that there are 'known' unknowns, and there are unknowable unknowns.

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yet another irritation with this..... the tool that my wife bought, AUTEL Maxi Link ML629..... the first thing their documentation tells you to do is to update the firmware on the device. Go to their site, find the device? Nope.

Down load the software update tool..... then plug in the device in a special mode, and everything should be hunky-dory. Register, provide serial number, get special code, agree to be bombarded by email...... They have two tools, neither of which will work with this device, hooked up with the USB cable they provide. Neither application recognizes the device when it is plugged in, in 'regular' mode, or in the special download mode.

Except for the part where having said all of that in print, you have to pull the micro SD card out of the device and have the software read that instead. Grumbling, looking for a micro SD card adapter....

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well,

having plugged in and reading out all of the codes.... one code.
minor evap emissions problem.

I re-set the code. Let's see how long that takes to come back. Bad gas cap, or evap cannister..... car's been sitting outside for the past 9 weeks, as our garage is now our quarantine zone for anything that is brought in from off the property. At least, MY car's parking spot is the new quarantine zone...... LOL.

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
11,757 Posts
Well,

having plugged in and reading out all of the codes.... one code.
minor evap emissions problem.

I re-set the code. Let's see how long that takes to come back. Bad gas cap, or evap cannister..... car's been sitting outside for the past 9 weeks, as our garage is now our quarantine zone for anything that is brought in from off the property. At least, MY car's parking spot is the new quarantine zone...... LOL.
$100 smoke diagnostic machine will do the trick.

·
Registered
480 Posts
If my car did that i would just buy another motorcycle :) Seriously don't know about Toyota but my for Fords there is a software tool that connect via the diagnostic port. You can do much more diagnostics and actually screw stuff up as well. I have a software package for VW called VAGCOM that connects to the diagnostic port (OBDII port) and does all kinds of wonderful things - again have to use some caution and intelligence with it. I have used it to monitor the transmission temperature in an automatic transmission to know when to check the fluid level. I'm down to just one VW now and when it gone will be done with them. Nice cars but drivetrain is not reliable. This is one area which is really nice on new cars but does not fix everything but can help point out the right direction.

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
11,757 Posts
You said VAGCOM

Reactions: Scorpi0

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, after my car sat in the driveway for over a week, when I started it up, the code came back. cleared it a second time, and will now buy a new gas cap to see if that will solve the issue. (wife also finally cleared all of the stuff out of my space in the garage, so I've parked the car under cover as well. Smaller temperature swings may reduce the change in pressure which may be causing this.) If the gas cap doesn't do it, replacing the charcoal canister is next up. Watched a you tube video, that's no more difficult than taking the tank off the bike, just flat on your back under the rear quarter panel on the drivers' side. $75 for the part..... I think.

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Parking the car in the garage seems to have helped, haven't seen the code again..... Then installed the new gas cap anyways. If the code comes back after the new cap, I'll swap out the charcoal canister. Either way, should it come back I will follow up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts