Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. After years of taking my bikes somewhere to have my wheels removed by a shop, and tires installed by the same shop. I decided to invest in doing this my self, usually the places I’d go to would tear my rims up pretty bad, so I prepared my self for when my 2019 ZX6R would need its first tires installed.

And I ordered all of the parts below, low and behold my bike reach 4,400 miles. And it was time for tires.

Cheap Tire irons
Tusk Mechanical wheel balancer W/ bubble level
Pro Motion II rim guards
Valve stem core remover
(100) large zip ties
Bicycle pump

Anyways, today I removed my wheel and then removed my tire. I reinstalled the new tire on the rear rim without leaving so much as a scratch or even a scuff on my rim! I set the bead and it popped twice with a simple bicycle pump lol. Right now I have the wheel on the mechanical balancer and it’s perfectly balanced and ready to go back on the bike.

I just wanted to share my experience. This all went very well and perfectly smooth for me, my rims stayed looking new, which was important to me. Also, the wheels are OEM Enkei which I thought was awesome as well.

I wanted to share just in case anyone else was considering doing this. Changing your own tires, and balancing them is pretty darn easy.

Tomorrow I’ll do the front tire as well once it gets delivered in the mail.

Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Wheel Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Automotive tire Fluid Font Auto part Liquid
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

Attachments

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Why did you go with the 60 profile tyre?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why did you go with the 60 profile tyre?
I got a great deal on both tires front and rear. No particular reason for going with a 180/60 at all. I was able to secure the set for about $185 brand new. The weight of the tires also interested me too. Only 12.98lbs, the stock S22 is 14.98lbs.

Reactions: riverszzr

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
And I assume you're tracking this? On the street, I'd be running M9RR's or M7RR's.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
And I assume you're tracking this? On the street, I'd be running M9RR's or M7RR's.

I only drive in dry weather, and on the street only. But I didn’t have much of choice. It was a package deal for these tires only.

The rear tire is like $290+ tax RR K1
The front tire is like $222+ tax RR K1
With tax it’s like $540 for a set of K1’s in the states. I could not pass up $185.00 for both brand new.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I'm not sure I see what the benefit is. You're saving money for what? A crash? Most people that run those tyres where I am have warmers. You're going to get caught out on a cold morning...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure I see what the benefit is. You're saving money for what? A crash? Most people that run those tyres where I am have warmers. You're going to get caught out on a cold morning...
They do not require tire warmers per Metzeler. And I don’t lean all that extreme anyways because I’m afraid. They’ll get me and my bike down the road that I only use at a fraction of its ability. Even though I’ve been driving street bikes for 13 years, they’ll prominently be worn down in the center. Which is perfectly fine because they were a good price.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
And I don’t lean all that extreme anyways because I’m afraid.
Dude. Go and do a school. Otherwise what is the point of owning a Supersport?!

Seriously for a fraction of the price you've spent on your exhaust you could get a coach to follow you round a track (or on the road) and give you some tips. You'd then be able to use the bike with confidence. These bikes are designed to be on their EAR! Not bolt-upright. They're too bloody uncomfortable for that.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dude. Go and do a school. Otherwise what is the point of owning a Supersport?!

Seriously for a fraction of the price you've spent on your exhaust you could get a coach to follow you round a track (or on the road) and give you some tips. You'd then be able to use the bike with confidence. These bikes are designed to be on their EAR! Not bolt-upright. They're too bloody uncomfortable for that.
Hey. Maybe I will look in to that. What season do they stop/start such lessons? Or when do track days usually start/end during the year?

Anyways, I got my wheel back on. The 180/60/17 is a dang fatty, it just clears the plastic fender. Much rounder profile than the S22 as well. You can certainly see the size of it. It looks kinda awesome. It pretty much a 190 sized for width. But not the 190 weight to go with it. I really love the profile of this tire though.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Automotive lighting Wheel

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
427 Posts
Nice Bike but Seriously the RR's (K1 soft compound) are not a first choice for street riding so be very carefull if you come off them cheap deal tires become very expensive.
Youv'e got Road Legal Race Tires.
Good luck..

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Despite "not required" tire warmers............ those tires still require some heat to work well
ie.......... typical street riding in a "mostly legal" manner on a 90* sunny day those tires won't even see 130* tire temp (that is about the bare bones minimum safe operating temp for them

Buying a super soft "race" tire for cheap........ I would be concerned with production date for one!!!!!!

but also, if you only get half the miles of buying a much better choice in street tire did you really save any money at all???? (now you need to spend money twice on tires and installation, and your time!)
not to even mention the lessor grip levels at what you seem to indicate is a casual straight up and down riding pace

and op confuses width to height........uggg

While those racetech 180's do measure about 186mm wide, the Q3+ and Q4 in 180 measure 188mm wide---so it is on par with typical 180 "racelike" tire widths
yes the S22's (aftermarket not oe) measure something nearer 180 actual
and some brands are even only 178mm for a 180 sidewall notation (178-188 is the range on 180's)

what the op is really seeing is the added height of the 60 profile and the fact you tire is pinched down on a 5.5 inch rim and the added height makes for a steeper profile

making it even less suitable to how the op rides the bike............ that steeper profile is yelling bloody murder to be tipped on its side and get to the edge for the bigger contact patch and higher grip levels just like the Q4 does the same thing................
your tiny little straight up and down contact patch is even more unsafe and worse for you how you describe your riding...... and it'll wear out more too!

Reactions: RJ2112

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
As far as the title of the thread..........

OP found a set of tires to pop the bead up easily.............

That method will not work on 90% of the tires out there, and is just foolhardy stupid to advertise the thread as such....

You didn't invent anything new and you didn't do anything that hasn't been done dozens of times, and you only found it easy due to the choice in tires you purchased............ which is the wrong tires for your needs/application

Reactions: RJ2112

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
@riverszzr

You realize this was just a thread about changing tires, and how easy it was done was a discovery, maybe someone else is considering changing their own tires, I dunno.. The tire was even cold in my house at about 70F when I installed it.

Also, the tire is not pinched it’s designed for a 5.5” rim per Metzeler. And it is listed as 190mm wide. I’m not sure why we’re even debating the tire at this point.

My riding listed above was intended to be in JIST.

There is a far more drastic difference to the width of the tire, then the height. So I am not confusing anything. 4% taller, and 6% wider. Comparing a brand new S22 to a brand new Metz RR

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
If you say so...........

I know the tire specs ---I sell and install Metzeler tires amongst other brands--- and I also know they state it is fine to use on a 5.5 inch wide rim, it really is better served and a better profile on a 6 inch rim, just like Dunlops in the same 180/60 offerings that also say fine to use on a 5.5 inch rim..same deal they are truly pinched on a 5.5 inch and it greatly affects the profileof the tire!

and yes the brochure says it measures 190, but physically on a 5.5 inch rim.......... they measure 186mm !
I have measured plenty of them

The real point through all of this is........... You bought the wrong tire for the job and you bought them hugely discounted so usually that means they are old as fuck and someone is trying to get anything back they can instead of throwing them away where they belong.......
but hey, go ahead show the production dates on them---maybe you did just find some smoking deal on tires less than a year old

and that just because this particular tire was able to be beaded up with a bicycle tire pump........ that is rarely the case......... and you never did say how you broke the bead on the existing old tires 9if this is supposedly some how to of information for someone else to gleen hope off it, that would be very valueable information as they don't just jump off and you aren't breaking the bead free with a tire iron!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you say so...........

I know the tire specs ---I sell and install Metzeler tires amongst other brands--- and I also know they state it is fine to use on a 5.5 inch wide rim, it really is better served and a better profile on a 6 inch rim, just like Dunlops in the same 180/60 offerings that also say fine to use on a 5.5 inch rim..same deal they are truly pinched on a 5.5 inch and it greatly affects the profileof the tire!

and yes the brochure says it measures 190, but physically on a 5.5 inch rim.......... they measure 186mm !
I have measured plenty of them

The real point through all of this is........... You bought the wrong tire for the job and you bought them hugely discounted so usually that means they are old as fuck and someone is trying to get anything back they can instead of throwing them away where they belong.......
but hey, go ahead show the production dates on them---maybe you did just find some smoking deal on tires less than a year old

and that just because this particular tire was able to be beaded up with a bicycle tire pump........ that is rarely the case......... and you never did say how you broke the bead on the existing old tires 9if this is supposedly some how to of information for someone else to gleen hope off it, that would be very valueable information as they don't just jump off and you aren't breaking the bead free with a tire iron!
Thanks for the information sir, I’m sure you know what your talking about. These tires are like 3 years old. But I did not think that was a big deal? Maybe I’m wrong. I will admit though, I have used a bike pump to pump up even truck tires in the past. (Not to seat a bead of course)

When I removed my old tires, I used a pry bar and my foot and a rim protector. It took some effort. I do not have a bead breaker yet.

When I was pumping these tires up, they had 43 PSI before it popped twice, and the bead was set. Just for fun, it made a mess of my living room during install.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Tread

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I've said it a billion times the M9RR is the equivalent of the S22. The equivalent Bridgestone would be the R11 and I sure as heck would not run those on the street. You've bought the wrong tyres. And you've also got the wrong profile on the rear. I rode a 60 profile on the track and it was not fantastic...I would also not be buying 3 year old tyres and be calling it a deal. If you had 3 year old tyres sitting in the shed, you'd realise they can blue and that is not good news for the compound (yes it degrades with time).

·
Registered
427 Posts
I actually feel for the Guy, I think he's been Tucked up as we say across the Pond.
He came on here excited he had sourced a good deal and managed to fit them himself, It must be a right downer to get the responses here that he has because he fell wide of the mark with the Tires !
Probably hasn't got the $'s to call it a Learning curve and purchase a more suited set of the right size.

So to sum up and this is now some advice as your clearly in the situation.

You got them cheap because there at least 3 years old (It don't matter a Fuck exactly how old) there old and they couldn't sell them to someone who would know the pitfalls of age, Learn from this and ask next time you are shopping what the Date stamp is, If it's online ring them and ask, They will then know not to send old shite out.
With age Tire rubber becomes hard and takes more heat to get to and maintain adhesion if you can get it there, This is exacerbated in a cold/wet climate so you need to take it really easy on the Street especially as there new, They'll be a slippery as ice.
That's a nice Ride and I would hate for you or it to get Damaged.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Most manufacturers recommend replacing tires if they are 6 years old. Maybe race tires have a shorter shelf life but I'm sure the OP will be able to determine if the tires are road worthy or not. Also, traction control will help control tire slippage to a certain extent.

Good write up OP and keep that traction control on at all times. Let us know how they compare to the old tires and how many miles you get out of them.

I have over 4k on my road 5 and they look and perform excellent. I imagine you will get maybe 2k out of those Metzeler tires?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts