Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all ,just wonting to know what can happen if chain is tightened tighter than spec on 636 03 model?:banghead

·
Registered
617 Posts
VERY BAD THINGS!!! if the drive chain it to tight you will wear out both chain and sprockets real quick, also(and worse yet) bend the output shaft that the front sprocket is attached to, we're talking BIG$$$$. Make sure you have about 3/4 of an inch play in the chain. Also to loose can cause trouble to. Hope this helps you. :thumbup

·
Registered
503 Posts
DON'T GO TOO TIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Major bad news that. Not only will it cause damage to chain, sprockets, output shaft and gearbox but it will actually effect the suspension too, ie, it won't work!
Be careful when re-tightening axle nut back up too. Every Kwaka i've had has needed the chain set very loose and then the axle nut as it gets torqued up SQUEEZES the swingarm together thus tightening chain!!!! Pretty alarming the first time you do it the 'normal' way and then check again and find it's rock solid!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes thats what happened i tightened the nut and it tightened up the chain it has in the specs 25 to 35mm it ended up 20mm did not ride for long but did ride hard ,all seems fine ,how do you know if you did any damage ? will there be a sound?:O

·
Registered
617 Posts
Keep an eye out for any deformation in the rear sprocket and rub marks on the inner side of the links. A good rule of thumb for adjusting your chain is count the number of threads between the lock and the adjuster bolt. If these are an equal number, your drive line should run straight & true, now tighten down the adjuster lock nut and then,pushing downward!!, torque the axle nut in 3 stages( 40 ft/lb's, 60ft/lb's and finally 85 ft/lb's). Next GO RIDE!!.Hope this helps. :thumbup

·
Registered
127 Posts
yeap, i remember doing the chain for the first time, like most things on a bike, you dont want to get it wrong in fear of causing the bike and yourself a whole lot of hurt. If you get stuck even with the smallest thing drop down to your local bike shop, dealer or even accessories place and they see you alright… bikers stick together and are always ready to help. All the best, and good comment from ninjarider, also try the string test, it works great for me.

·
Registered
127 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
I bought a digital micrometer and accurately measure the distances with that, when I got the bike it was 5mm out of true, but the swing arm marks said it was straight.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I bought a digital micrometer and accurately measure the distances with that, when I got the bike it was 5mm out of true, but the swing arm marks said it was straight.
Very common...

A chain-tru tool is the best bet..

·
Registered
450 Posts
Also...anybody having trouble with the chain tightening while torque'ing the axel nut might want to try this little trick.

With the axel nut hand tight, set the adjusters to provide 1.2"-1.5" free play in the chain. Slip a screw driver shaft between 2 rear sprocket teeth. Gently rotate the wheel backward until the slack in the chain is just taken up(remember, no godzilla...nice and easy). Torque nut. Rotate wheel forward and remove screw driver.

Playing the guessing game by leaving a little more than 1.2"-1.5" slack, then tightening the nut hoping you guessed right is a great way to waste time and effort.

All imo of course....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts