Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about using a connector link( you know, the one that clips on to the master link) is it safe to use these on high performance sport bikes or should a person buy a chain tool and use the rivot style link.:O

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
:stupid Clips are fine as long as everything is perfect and the chain never gets hit up against stuff. But if its sprung a little on install or your chain gets brushed up against stuff while riding (not normally an issue on street bikes) they can come apart. Riveted links are super strong and durable - no reason not go that route. Also good 530 chains don't even come with clip-links.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Recommend rivet link.
For $22 motion pro 'Link Press'. Careful not to press to far. EK chains has niffty spacer used during press. Pull out after pressed. Couple of easy ways to peen the rivet, Counter weight on opposite site of chain and Ball Peen hammer the rivets. Even easier is using a wire cutter to deform the rivet a little. (Use a crescent wrench on the link press to counter tightening forces)
My experience with clip type master links. Two clips break in half, luckily the other half held the link together. Another time clip went missing. I caught these by all checking the bike over during stops. Carried extra clips and masterlinks. Now with rivets, the extra master links is for other riders.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Might as well just get a chain rivet tool (it will act as a press and breaker as well), saves a lot of trouble:thumbup

Motion pro and RK make them - I have a motion pro but have since been told the RK is better:O

1 - 6 of 6 Posts