Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
in need of a little advice , i think my chain and sprockets need changing , one minute my chain was fine , the next its rattling like crazy when i pull away and the drive taken up , not sure if its just the wheel that needs adjusting or if its the chain and sprockets,the bikes done just over 6k now so the other question is how much milage should i be getting out of a chain and sprocket set ?

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
does the chain need lube? Is there much slack in the chain? Was the chain and sprockets new when you got the bike?

·
Registered
6 Posts
With proper chain maint.,you should expect 15,000 miles from a chain and sprocket set. You need to clean and lube your chain every 500 miles to get this kind of life from a set. I usually keep about 30-40 mm slack in mine on all my bikes. A good way to check your chain condition is to put your bike up on a rear stand,measure the slack, rotate the tire 1/4 turn ,measure the slack, repeat this proceedure until you have made a full turn. If there is any variance in the slack measurement at any of the 4 locations you measured from,your chain is done. Replace the sprockets and chain as a set. Take this opportunity to upgrade to a high quality 520 set. You will feel the difference immediately. Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thx for the info and advice , think im going to replace it anyway just in case as i have a track day next weekend :eek:)

·
Registered
397 Posts
thx for the info and advice , think im going to replace it anyway just in case as i have a track day next weekend :eek:)
If I were you, I would switch to a 520 chain. By what you told me, an intermittent noise like that sounds like you stretched the chain you have. The best way to find out is to put the bike on a rear stand, and turn the rear wheel. about every half rotation check the tension of the chain at the top and bottom. if it is tight on top and loose on the bottom, then you rotate it and it switches ( loose on top and tight on bottom) you have a stretched chain, and you are riding too hard for that style of chain, or your maintanence sux. You need to upgrade.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
only had the bike 3 weeks or so , and only had it out a handful of times, thinking that the chain was probably due for renewing, last owner had only done short trips on it , and i gave it a good run the other day did 200 mile round trip to visit family, have got a 520 chain on order, so should be fitting midweek , ready for donnington park :O)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also is it an easy job , or is it a time and labour consuming job , bearing in mind its not a job ive ever done before ????

·
Registered
127 Posts
The only problem you may have is getting the front sprocket off the output shaft, the torque is MASSIVE on these, and for good reason. Make sure its the first thing to come off. Bike in gear, (chain still on) someone sat on the bike, back brake applied, a solid piece of wood between the rear wheel and swing arm, all this is to stop the motor turning and to get enough torque on the nut to get it off. The rest… easy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
ok, while im here does anyone know the torque settings ill need for this change over ? front sprocket, rear, axle bolt ? thanx in advance

ps. its a zx636 a1p on an 03 plate

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only problem you may have is getting the front sprocket off the output shaft, the torque is MASSIVE on these, and for good reason. Make sure its the first thing to come off. Bike in gear, (chain still on) someone sat on the bike, back brake applied, a solid piece of wood between the rear wheel and swing arm, all this is to stop the motor turning and to get enough torque on the nut to get it off. The rest… easy.
well new chain and sprockets all fitted, and boy were you right about the torque on the front nut , took ages to shift it, but once we got it off it was plain sailing , thx for the help and advice fellas, much appreciated :bounce

1 - 13 of 13 Posts