Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
still pretty new to my bike, im constantly worrying about my bike bc my knowledge is awful:coocoo. my buddy suggested a chain. i know its pretty practical to replace the sprocket also even though mine isnt bad. i do not want OEM sprocket, id like the ones that make wheelies easier i know they add/subtract teeth i just dont know whats legit. suggestions... my main intentions are not wheelies at this point i know they are also better for acceleration you just lose top end which is okay bc top end just isnt practical on the streets, i hate when i get the urge to hit 14rpms in 6th :wow:

·
Registered
253 Posts
-1/+2 is the typical sprocket change for increased acceleration. I actually just did this to my bike over the weekend.

I'd advise that if you're not an experienced rider, you may want to hold off on this one.

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
less up front & more(teeth) @ the back will give you harder acceleration.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
if you go less 1 on the front (no one will see as the cover is hiding it) then youll have quicker acceleration
if you wanting to make wheelies easyer go -1 on front and maybe +6 on rear (i have) but you can go bigger on rear if need be
you will need a new chain to on the second option

bike will be quick off the mark so be careful on fast starts
wheelies will be easy so cover the rear brake

read up in the stunt section ( i did and STILL learning)

·
Banned
691 Posts
Sprocket Center -

Call these guys up. They will ask you questions about your bike and riding style, and give you a better idea of what size sprockets to get. -1, +2 is the most common, but on say the '03 your better off keeping the front the same because it already has a smaller sprocket and just bumping up the rear a few more. This is the stuff that you need to know.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sprocket Center -

Call these guys up. They will ask you questions about your bike and riding style, and give you a better idea of what size sprockets to get. -1, +2 is the most common, but on say the '03 your better off keeping the front the same because it already has a smaller sprocket and just bumping up the rear a few more. This is the stuff that you need to know.
His bike is an '07, which IIRC is a 16 tooth front sprocket.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I would say keep front the same and go up 2 or 3 in the back if you are doing normal street riding. I am running -1 +3 right now but my highway cruising rpm is pretty high (8k+). When it's time to change my chain I will probably leave the rear at +3 but go back to stock in front. -1+2 is common though and gives our 600's better low end torque at the cost of top speed

·
Registered
107 Posts
HI Guys i am new in this forum, but how ever i see you are talking about sprockets, my bike is due for a sprocket(front/rear) as well as a chain change, but then i dont know what type of sprocket to get, i am learning a few bike tricks and i dont want to break the bike whiles doing this... please assist guys...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I'm glad these gearing discussions are coming up. I am trying to figure out which way I am going to go as well. Right now, I'm on the fence between -1/+1 and 0/+3. My goal is to have more pull without messing with the cruising RPMs too much.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
I'm glad these gearing discussions are coming up. I am trying to figure out which way I am going to go as well. Right now, I'm on the fence between -1/+1 and 0/+3. My goal is to have more pull without messing with the cruising RPMs too much.
0/+3 is basically the same as a -1/+2 - You're just not bending the chain and a sharper angle on the front sprocket which can increase the wear rate of your chain.

For those that like going FAST it's not the best option as you'll lose top speed. You also might want to consider a speedo healer. Cruising next to MotoHavoc this weekend at MotoGP I looked at his dash while we were going about 40MPH. Mine read 43 which is about right on my stock gearing... his was reading about 50 at 40MPH.

For those that like to go QUICK (not fast) do the gearing change. Very good invesment for track riders.... as you're really never topping out (at least on most of the tracks around here) at more than 130 or so... (maybe 140). You get there lickity split with the gearing change!

·
Banned
691 Posts
0/+3 is basically the same as a -1/+2
No.

-1/+2 is about the same as -0/+5. For every 1 that you go down in the front is about the equivalent of going 3 up in the back. Here is a ratio chart...

Gear Ratio Chart - Sprocket Center

For example, the stock gearing on an '03 is 14f/40r. -1/+2 would give a gearing ratio of 3.23, and -0/+5 is going to be about the same at 3.21. I personally would rather keep the front stock and simply increase the size of the rear. If you decide you don't like the new gearing, your only replacing 1 sprocket as opposed to 2.

*disclaimer: YES, I know the OP does not have an '03, it was just an example. YES, I know that you should replace the chain and sprockets together, my last comment was based on him making up his mind right away, not 10K miles later.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have to say, having now ridden with the sprocket change...it's a totally different bike. It's threatening to throw me off, and loves to jump into the air if I am not clean on the clutch. It's like I have to learn to ride all over again, and I love it :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts