Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, got a few questions real quick that I haven't been able to find the answer to, going to buy a bike tomorrow and I already check out the bike prior, almost 23,000 miles, Kawasaki ZX6R, 2007 for $3k
1.) Ive seen videos talking about the front forks on a motorcycle that should be clean, now the forks on this bike were oily but not dirty oil, does that mean the fork seal is still broken? Note:The bike is making a ticking noise, most likely a CCT issue, its not that loud, and only on the CCT side
2.) Is 3k a good price for this bike or should I shoot for lower?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
If you're willing to replace the CCT and do a service on your forks, $3k for a 6r is a pretty good price I'd say

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're willing to replace the CCT and do a service on your forks, $3k for a 6r is a pretty good price I'd say
So with the Fork's, if there's a light layer of oil/lubricant (it's clear), is that normal or does that mean the fork seal needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
So with the Fork's, if there's a light layer of oil/lubricant (it's clear), is that normal or does that mean the fork seal needs to be replaced?
Not normal, oil belongs inside the fork. Servicing is not a huge deal but maybe you could shave off $100 if you point it out.

·
Registered
8,794 Posts
So you need to spend about $300-$500 out of pocket to fix it right away if you cannot do the work yourself...... (if in fact it is just the tensioner and the fork seals)

any nicks in the forks?

Use that as a negotiation point on price if you are intent to purchase...

Is there any documentation on the valve adjustment service being done back at the due time of 16,000 miles?
if not, plan to get that done as well (another $500ish out of pocket) again use that against the seller and negotiate price!!!

What about chain/sprockets, 23,000 miles is about the far end of lifespan on those, have they been replaced? if not-- there goes another $250-$300 if you can't do it yourself
Then you still have to look over the rest of the bike and see what else it needs immediately and what it will need in the next 1000-2000 miles................

I wouldn't pay $3k for that bike, especially knowing you will be spending another $1000+ immediately---then it is a $4k bike

Reactions: XplicitRider

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So you need to spend about $300-$500 out of pocket to fix it right away if you cannot do the work yourself...... (if in fact it is just the tensioner and the fork seals)

any nicks in the forks?

Use that as a negotiation point on price if you are intent to purchase...

Is there any documentation on the valve adjustment service being done back at the due time of 16,000 miles?
if not, plan to get that done as well (another $500ish out of pocket) again use that against the seller and negotiate price!!!

What about chain/sprockets, 23,000 miles is about the far end of lifespan on those, have they been replaced? if not-- there goes another $250-$300 if you can't do it yourself
Then you still have to look over the rest of the bike and see what else it needs immediately and what it will need in the next 1000-2000 miles................

I wouldn't pay $3k for that bike, especially knowing you will be spending another $1000+ immediately---then it is a $4k bike
On the CCT, i've seen a few videos and read a few forum posts on how to adjust it, so i'm confident on that.
The fork seals I would have to get done through a shop though.

Appreciate your input on this topic! Great community as I just joined a few days ago!

·
Registered
8,794 Posts
On the CCT, i've seen a few videos and read a few forum posts on how to adjust it, so i'm confident on that.
The fork seals I would have to get done through a shop though.

Appreciate your input on this topic! Great community as I just joined a few days ago!
Only the morons try an adjust an automatic adjusting cam chain tensioner.

news flash- it'll get quiet right until it eats your chain guides and you keep repeating the process until it is all ruined and you are looking for a new engine!

But you do not even know if it is the cam chain tensioner as it is super fucking rare they go bad..... like 1 in a million rare

1 - 9 of 9 Posts