Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and gentlemen,

The ZX-6RR (2006) needed some maintance. I have replaced the stock spark plugs with iridium, replaced the stock air filter with an aftermarket K&N one and a seafoam treatement has been done. Since that time, my bike has been giving me half the mileage. Running rich, no problem, the issue may pass I thought. But no, this devil is running it's pipes red hot, exhaust is spitting out blue colored flames (Even on idle!) and finally the bike is giving me half the mileage to the tank. It is dumping fuel. What the hell is going on here? I suppose the upgrades let much more air into the system therefore the ECU dumped more fuel in order to even out the mixture. Then again, just my theory. Regardless, please help me out. How do I get the devil out of my engine?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
And this all happened prior to doing everything that you did? That air filter won't make that drastic of a difference in your AFR.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I'm wanting to blame the seafoam too. I'd never use that stuff.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Yeah what do you mean by seafoam treatment? Did you put it in the gas tank? Or a vacuum line?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could be the seafoam... I had a friend that did it many times on many machines do it with me. Poured some directly into the injectors and some in the gas tank with a full tank. What should I check on? MAF sensor? CO2 sensor?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Throttlebodies* not injectors. Sorry. Already tired

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
Ladies and gentlemen,

The ZX-6RR (2006) needed some maintance. I have replaced the stock spark plugs with iridium, replaced the stock air filter with an aftermarket K&N one and a seafoam treatement has been done. Since that time, my bike has been giving me half the mileage. Running rich, no problem, the issue may pass I thought. But no, this devil is running it's pipes red hot, exhaust is spitting out blue colored flames (Even on idle!) and finally the bike is giving me half the mileage to the tank. It is dumping fuel. What the hell is going on here? I suppose the upgrades let much more air into the system therefore the ECU dumped more fuel in order to even out the mixture. Then again, just my theory. Regardless, please help me out. How do I get the devil out of my engine?
I would guess that the reassembly after the plug change, and air box install did not go smoothly..... check your work before you do anything else.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Is the bike running good through the whole rpm range? Maybe you didn't put a spark plug cap on all the way and it's misfiring? And I've never heard of putting sea foam on the injectors maybe that has something to do with it but I doubt it.

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
First off....Iridium plugs and an air filter are not upgrades---that is simply routine maintenance. Most likely (as long as the plugs are the right heat range) would have zero effect on the bike at all, certainly not any negative effect as you experience

Seafoam....so you poured it down the throttle bodies while the engine was running and put some in the fuel tank?
How much?

No doubt you could have eaten(dissolved) O-rings and now have fuel under pressure going around the injector body, or even internally the injector has 2 O-rings and it could be there.....or there are other scenarios too but I certainly would not be riding it or starting it until the issue is resolved.

You likely have fuel in the crankcase too if it has gotten so rich the cat is saturated with fuel to glow red or perhaps it is plugged with carbon deposits blown out the exhaust port from the seafoam treatment

I certainly would be looking into resulting problems form the original problem, but you do need to fix the origin as well as the results of it.

Reactions: Poland

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll follow your advice @riverszzr, the bike will be dismantled today. I'll remove the gas tank, I'll check the spark plugs, air filter, injectors, and throttle bodies. I won't ride until the issue has been solved. As the matter of fact, I might be done for the season. Depending how the issue goes that is. I have a video of the flame although it isn't as visible as it would be in person. As of pictures, I don't have any. I do however have a video. I'll post it up today on YouTube.

Thank you for the help. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By the way, the bike is running a little rough. Nothing too crazy. Then again, at lower temperature, the engine will shut off if I let the RPMs drop too low. It does not hold a steady idle unless completely warmed up. Then again, the idle will be slightly irregular.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ha! I think I have found my issue... MAF air tube was completely disconnected. I am still in the process of checking everything else. Spark plugs next.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ladies and gentlemen.

I am happy to announce smooth idle. Engine is running without overheating. Throttle response better than ever. No gasy smell. No flames and no heat issue. The only real test will come tomorrow when I ride to work in the morning. I'll update then. Sorry about the lack of photos. Next time that's the first thing I'll do. Now to repack twin two brothers pipes on my friends R1.

Thank you so much for all your help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE. CASE CLOSED.

I'm happy to announce that the problem has been fixed. The air tube conncected into the Mass Air Flow sensor was disconnected. Once I reconnected the tube,the idle improved significantly right off the bat. After two days of riding everything returned to normal. No exhaust overheating, no backfiring, regular gas mileage back in order, etc. For future reference, anyone experiencing such a problem, check your Co2 sensor and MAF sensor first. Then move onto other components.

Thank you for the all the help.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts