Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ZX6R 2000, Carburetor Synchronization.
Hi. Just finished my first valve adjustment and carb cleaning.I bought carb kits which I installed, but in general I did not do any checking for carbs. just clean and put in items from carb kit. Bike is now running with 90-92% of perfection. Before it was 15% so huge improvement. In general it seems to have a weak spot around 8000 rpm. If I increase speed, it increases smoothly. At the top end, say 12,000 - 14500 rpm it seems to have some problems getting to the end 14,500 rpm. Im assuming that the carbs need synchronization. The mixture screw (which are new from carb kit) are set to approximately 3 and slightly less than ½ turn for each. However it is not exactly the same for all 4. My questions is this. How do I know the optimum setting for my bike? Carb synchronization is "only" synchronization of carbs at whatever setting I have selected for mixture screws I assume? WHat is the procedure for this? Trial and error?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
ZX6R 2000, Carburetor Synchronization.
Hi. Just finished my first valve adjustment and carb cleaning.I bought carb kits which I installed, but in general I did not do any checking for carbs. just clean and put in items from carb kit. Bike is now running with 90-92% of perfection. Before it was 15% so huge improvement. In general it seems to have a weak spot around 8000 rpm. If I increase speed, it increases smoothly. At the top end, say 12,000 - 14500 rpm it seems to have some problems getting to the end 14,500 rpm. Im assuming that the carbs need synchronization. The mixture screw (which are new from carb kit) are set to approximately 3 and slightly less than ½ turn for each. However it is not exactly the same for all 4. My questions is this. How do I know the optimum setting for my bike? Carb synchronization is "only" synchronization of carbs at whatever setting I have selected for mixture screws I assume? WHat is the procedure for this? Trial and error?
Carb sync will smooth everything out, but you will never reach perfection without dynoing the bike. You can trial and error till you're blue, but it will only ever be close.

·
Registered
296 Posts
What you describe are jetting issues. A carb sync will not help with that, it really only affects how smooth the bike idles and runs at small throttle openings. Once you are past 1/4 throttle it has no effect at all. If you want to do your own carb sync, look at the Carbtune tool, it is a cadillac set up: Morgan Carbtune - carburetor synchronizer for balancing motorcycle carbs

While I disagree with Brandon35 that you need a dyno to get the jetting right, you do need experience to do it without some tuning help. Is the bike stock? Stock jetting?

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Mark, Brandon. Thank you for input. I found out that I had not assembled carbs correctly. I did not click down the holder for The jets in all 4 carbs. After fixing this it now runs at 98-99%. Before this, I was hoping that carb sync was a miracle cure, that could fix my issues where it was running at 90-92 % (or less), since that exercise is based on measurements, which is something I can relate to. However, I understand now that is not the case. I have Leo Vinci exhaust, k&n airfilter, so I suspect maybe not stock jets, but I don’t know since I did not check. Still learning. Since it is now running close to 100% I’m not planing a carb sync.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Which jet kit did you go with?

and I am not sure what you mean when you say you did not click down the holder for the jets?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts