Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have this problem?

My bike has been losing power after doing around 20 miles, and sounding dull. The weather is below 5oc and wet. Stop for a couple of minutes and its fine again.

I have had the bike serviced, new filters etc. and it is still happening.:banghead

The bike has been in the garage twice in as many weeks, but it still ain't going right and I can't get a decent day to try it in any other conditions.

Any help on this matter would be great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
definetly sounds like carb icing

not normally a problem with the 6 (the zx9r suffers badly with it though) and without looking i cant say wether the 6 has carb heaters or not, if they do then you need to clean out the coolant filter otherwise get some silkolene pro fst and that'll sort it but it can get expensive if your using it all the time

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
clean out the coolant filter
Thanks Chance. I am surethe garage did this. Will need to wait until they open on the 7th again to check.

One of my mates also suggested putting "Forte Carb Cleaner" in my tank. Going to look into this and your silkolene stuff:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
My TL is fuel injected, but I've never managed to get any carb icing on my other bikes (DR's and VF500) even in really cold and/or wet weather:O

hope you get it sorted:thumbup

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks Chance. I am surethe garage did this. Will need to wait until they open on the 7th again to check.

One of my mates also suggested putting "Forte Carb Cleaner" in my tank. Going to look into this and your silkolene stuff:thumbup:
if the filter hasnt been cleaned in a while it can block up very quickly again which wont help. there are some mods you can do to the 9r coolant system to help and if the 6r is same it might be worth ago. if you can get a photo with the tank off and i'll be able to work from there

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:rotfl

There is no danger I will be doing that chance, but thanks again.

My bike maintenance is limited to chain checking and that is about it other than cleaning.:)

Just checked my last invoice and the "carb coolant filter" was removed and cleaned. Also the week before that my air filter was replaced during a service.

:O

·
Registered
166 Posts
redex not help?

edited: Talking of redex, anyone undo spark plugs and put a teaspoon of redex direct into the piston chamber and giving the engine a small tunover without fully staring (is kill switch on)and leave overnight and start bike in morning to clean top end? I eaither read it on here on in Haynes book, ill be giving it a go anyway when spring is on us

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I wouldn't recommend doing that. There's no real need to clean the top end, modern engines, oils and fuels all burn very clean and you are almost certainly not suffering from excessive carbon deposits in the combustion chamber. If you do decide to do it, only put a very small amount in and crank the motor over several times with the plugs out, otherwise you risk a hydro lock and seriously damaging the motor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts