Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just had to order new chain and sprocket kit because the place I got my tires put on put the back wheel on cockeyed, I noticed it felt funny after I got them put on but didn't think much of it then ordered a chain alignment tool to be sure , well before I got it I noticed my chain making a bad noise and come to find out my wheel is all outta place after finally getting my tool in the mail to late, fml you can't trust anyone or any shop anymore :O

Sprocket and chain kit should be her Thursday :yumyum: it sucks because I wanted to wait to put some really nice stuff on but had to settle for now :hmmm:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Shops are very shady anymore. My local shop did a bunch of fucked up stuff (like wrecking my buddies busa, he put like 12 weights on my tire while balancing it once I could go on and on) so I stopped even going there to get tires swapped out. I would bring my rims in with my tires I bought myself and they would just keep sticking weights on trying to balance it. So now I just get my tires changed at whatever track for $15-20.

Bottom line shops are crap 50% of the time. You need to find a good trustworthy shop to do your work or buy a manual and do it yourself.

Reactions: 636MOBIN

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
See if I can do something myself, I don't trust anyone else to do it. I took the tires off my bike myself after borrowing stands and took them in for a change, but if I had the tire change bench I'd have done it myself.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i don't like the idea of others working on my bike. granted I'm not a master mechanic so theres some stuff i can't do but i usually only bring just my rims to a dealer for tire swaps.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I try to do as much as possible my self but I don't have a tire machine and balancer at home (yet ;) ), and not to mention my 70+ hours a week I work, but id say I do almost all the work on my bike my self

·
Registered
100 Posts
I lean on my father for most of my mechanical help, after I try and fail several times. We've done a bunch of tire changes with just the spoons, and he actually fabricated his own balance. So I'm lucky because I wouldn't like to rely on, trust, or pay some shops.

·
Registered
89 Posts
when i got my bike the front tire was basically bald (original tire) but the deal was the guy was throwing in a front tire he had. so i got the wheel off and watched a few videos on youtube about how to change a tire on a motorcycle. let me just say that i am a pretty serious hobby mechanic, but it took all i could do to break the bead on that tire and get it off the rim. i actually cut it all the way across thinking i could get it off then.... realized that the steel belts were all down at the sealing lip. at this point i stuck a tire iron through the tire put all my weight on leveraging it down while my wife stood on the other side. this took a couple days lol. it ended up popping finally both seats and then i used the zip tie method for removal and putting the new tire on the rim. i wont ever do this again without getting a bead breaking tool, even though i am sure most off the difficulty was the fact the tire had been on the rim for 10 years. the zip tie method works though and zip ties are reusable if you know how to get them off by releasing the tang.

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
OP... give this guy a try. I found him the other day on craigslist and gave him a call. He just bought a tire replacing machine and is offering service to pay it off. Seems like a nice guy over the phone and he does the work in his garage in Pasadena. 30 bucks to replace and balance both tires... deal! Ima be going to him once I get my rims painted. http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mpo/4386057182.html

·
Registered
999 Posts
Exact same thing happened to my friend last week!! We have been taking our bikes to the same shop for years and last week they let a "new guy" put it on and she got a new sprocket and chain on it a few days ago.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Ive heard those alignment marks arent very accurate.
theyre not. at all. at least mine arent. i was using a tape measure before i got my motion pro alignment tool. i was pretty close, but the tool makes it just that much easier. and believe me, it let me know the marks were WAY off.

and other than my first service, valve cover gasket, and a set of tires, the shop hasnt touched my bike. i now take my wheels off and take it to a local shop who does a good job, and any other work i do myself. considering trying to get a buddy to help me with the valve adjustments, still havent decided if that will be worth it, or if i should just get a shop to do it. cant hurt to learn though, right?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Yeah I really hate shops feel like I just got hosed long story short feel like the shop my bike was at should've been warranty work wasn't cover and feel like they did half of what they said they did but who knows just means I need to learn how to do more on my own

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
considering trying to get a buddy to help me with the valve adjustments, still havent decided if that will be worth it, or if i should just get a shop to do it. cant hurt to learn though, right?
It can if you do it wrong.

Reactions: AlexZX6R

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
I bet when something went wrong, that guy ended up with a black eye and some blue balls :laugh

Stupidest thing I ever did was leave a shop rag inside the case of my 2007 XL650R thumper. I was almost done with a engine rebuild, valve job,camshaft replacement, when my friend asked, hey where is that towel you were using.
I froze. Looked for it. New it had to be in there. So apart the engine came again and sure enough that fucker was there. :banghead. It is good to have cool observant friends. He could of just stayed quiet. I would have been screwed trying to start it.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
So I just had to order new chain and sprocket kit because the place I got my tires put on put the back wheel on cockeyed, I noticed it felt funny after I got them put on but didn't think much of it then ordered a chain alignment tool to be sure , well before I got it I noticed my chain making a bad noise and come to find out my wheel is all outta place after finally getting my tool in the mail to late, fml you can't trust anyone or any shop anymore :O

Sprocket and chain kit should be her Thursday :yumyum: it sucks because I wanted to wait to put some really nice stuff on but had to settle for now :hmmm:
We should all get together and open a shop. Shit would be the best place in Southern CA to get your bike worked on. Everyone is so awesome on this sight.
Imagine a awesome place run by awesome people that would do awesome work at awesome prices. How awesome is that. Should I use the word awesome more? :laugh

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Its so true Alex I am in the biz the mark up is insane and for what the shop charges the techs should be rich but its not even like that

1 - 20 of 40 Posts