Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone , so i've been practicing wheelies for a while now , sometimes i manage to get it up and sometimes i don't ..

Here's the deal , since i started whenever i try to clutch it up it doesn't even lift off the ground , but on rare occasions it comes up but i'm too scared to hold it steady and i bring it down , i figure i'll get over that when i get used to it..

It's getting me frustrated that the bike doesn't always come up and mostly just jerks me forward , and yes i do give it enough throttle at times but it still doesn't want to and once i gave it so much throttle cause i thought that would get it up but it just made me fish-tail.

i always clutch it up in 2nd gear with my traction off, and i ride a 2014 Zx6r.

I usually accelerate a bit , and then clutch it and give it throttle quickly at the same time.. and usually i'm really close to the gas tank and covering my rear brake and everything...

Anything i might be doing wrong ? Because the bike has proven to me that it will come up.. but mos of the time it doesn't so it must mean i'm doing something wrong.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
234 Posts
This should be interesting..... BUMP!

Reactions: Mft624 and AlexZX6R

·
Registered
234 Posts
To be clear so people dont light you up in this thread.. you are practicing these stunts in a closed course with all proper equipment and you have had enough riding experience riiiiight??...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be clear so people dont light you up in this thread.. you are practicing these stunts in a closed course with all proper equipment and you have had enough riding experience riiiiight??...

Yes it's a closed course and i have all my gear from head to toe, i do have enough riding experience

Plus i have a couple of friends always around to watch out just in case anything does happen.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I don't think so ? It has come up a few times but i don't know why most of the time it doesn't ... it frustrates me because i don't know what i'm doing wrong.
On your 2014 you must have TC off or else it wont wheelie. Setting 1 may allow you to wheelie a tiny bit but i'm guessing not the amount you are after.

I'm not a wheelie guy so i can't offer any advise as far as technique.

Good luck, please do it on the public roads with traffic like some of the idiots out there.

*Edit*

Just read you had TC off.. :D soooooo yeah good luck.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Well ... if you do ... just get used to do doing very small lifts and measure your progress in weeks, not days.

My youngest kid bought this mint 2008 R6 in March 2013. As soon as he got it, he watched vids on how to do wheelies. [edit - now that i think of it, he stated doing wheelies the year before on his Ninja 250] He learned quickly and did them all the time. He had that bike about three months when he flipped the bike doing a wheelie, and totalled it. I spent a TON of time doing tail tidy, flush mount blinkers, BullDog Damper, and all sorts of other work on that bike only to see it destroyed in a single stupid moment.

A person comes to believe they are good at it. Then the smallest little surprise exposes the illusion.

I'll be frank that I think it would be way cool to do wheelies like other people I see. I wish I could do that. But man oh man I love my bikes and I don't want to hazard them. Plus, I do enough stupid things the way it is, without adding more. And, the fear of higher insurance rates, police problems ... and then there are those people - family and friends - who would be very disappointed if they knew I did stuff like that. So, the short of it is I have not learned to wheelies.

The youngest kid now has a 2013 Daytona 675 R. He got in in August of last year and so far so good. He still does frequent wheelies though I notice he can do them much slower and without the rapid acceleration of a novice. I think he's learned to do them as well as anyone you'll see on YouTube. But he paid the price with a bike, a trip to the hospital, and insurance rates.

"Be ready to pay the price."

fwiw.

BONUS - he and his Daytona, my ZX6R behind his bike. Photo taken last month before our first little ride of the season. Notice how well geared up he always is.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Get your nuts off the tank (sit further back in the seat) and do it in first gear, and sit downs are harder without a sprocket change, i hear stagered stand ups are thw way to go, but you didnt hear any of this from me :wink:

AND ALWAYS COVER THE REAR BRAKE !!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
well....:sigh: i just got my bike recently and haven't even gotten comfortable with normal riding yet, so take my words however you want. i have however rode ATV's or four wheelers as they are called where i am from for over 10 years. i can "bear walk" my four wheeler at 30 in 4th for an indefinite amount of time. pulling a wheelie is about the point at which you release the clutch in the power band (point of high torque) of the engine and the wheel speed you are at when you start and end engaging the clutch (having enough difference in the two speeds to raise the bike) just as important is weight transfer to the rear wheel in order to have the traction there to leverage the whole bike and yourself. weight movement backwards at the correct time of clutch engagement is extremely helpful in beginning the weight shift towards the rear; loading the rear and unloading the front end, helping powering up through this sticking point your running into.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone...I used to do wheelies on my ATV but since i started riding sport bikes i stopped , guess i was too scared , but now i'm back at it again..

I don't want to change the gearing , because the bike can do it the way it , i just want to know how to shift my weight to the back , or if there is anything i'm doing wrong..

Thanks, i keep loosing traction , so that's what i'm looking to stop

& thanks for everyone's feedback , good or bad since you took the time to answer lol

Ride safe, i guess i'm stubborn when it comes to wheelies

·
Registered
44 Posts
You could have too much weight on your bars from being tense. Maybe you pull yourself into the bike as it comes up. You may be rolling off throttle when youre coming up. These were my issues when learning. Relax and ride like youre just cruising. Wear gear and prepare to drop your bike, just being realistic... actually if you dont skip steps you might never fall...

In first around 20-30mph or second 30-40 roll on the throttle quickly like youre passing someone. A split second later, slip the clutch with one finger. The bike will pop up and give more throttle to bring it higher. Start small and take baby steps, build muscle memory with the back brake, use it everytime to bring it down whether youre a few inches or 12 o clock. I practice wheelies on my mountain bike and used to always loop but began using back brake everytime and now i never loop.

You should start by popping little miserable wheelies. Then begin to chase them out, again back brake. Then give it more throttle to pop it higher quicker and one day youll get to balance point.

Learn on a dirt bike if you can, it will teach you not to look at your tachometer amd go by feel and won't cost so much if you drop it.Practice riding and pulling the clutch to slip point, your rpms should raise a little. It takes getting used to, maybe start pulling the clutch in with ine finger when you come to stop signs. But dont listen to me im still a wheelie noob and ive looped twice

1 - 20 of 37 Posts