Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Y'all just scared!

So I took the advice in my new user thread when yall were telling me what to get for gear. I just placed an amazon order for this shit, tell me what you guys think...

Gloves https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019U0KRGC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wanted to go for full gauntlets but I'm on a budget, so I thought these provided fair protection.

Helmet https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IROO0AW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bluetooth is a necessity with the amount of calls I get, thought this was best bang for buck

Pants https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089GBD4Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Kinda boring looking, but affordability+protection >> Style, so I went with these

Brake Fluid Sockhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076SJR4O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just because it's badass.

So these are the safety items I went with to add to my collection, flame away if you must. Or at least tell me I didn't completely fudge it up by ordering shitty gear.

Also, my next mods will be a fender eliminator kit and an exhaust. Plan to buy them at the same time, probably with my next check. Which way should I go with this? Anybody have any pictures of their bike with fender eliminator kits? I'm curious as to how I'm going to do mine because the turn signals or integrated into that ugly ass fender in the back. Also would like to know the affordable way to go for a good sounding exhaust.

As always, all advice is appreciated and welcomed. thaaaat's riiiiiiiightttt!

·
Registered
12,900 Posts
Any gear is better than no gear, so sh*tty is all in the eye of the beholder. If you don't wear it and it sits in the closet it is doing nothing for you.

The fact that you are buying gear is a H-U-G-E good thing. It's all trial and error as to what will work long term for you, so getting started on the journey is the most important part.

I am a fan of gauntlet gloves, because the sleeve of your riding jacket will ride up your arm in a fall at any speed, exposing the area right above your wrist to road rash. (assuming you have a jacket on).

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
The helmet and pants look like great choices for your requirements on a budget. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the gloves. Since they're not a known brand and say 'paintball' it's hard to know how well they'll hold up.

As for fender eliminator, most guys have them, so pics are everywhere on the site. Usually you're going to see a license plate with tiny turn signals, or a plate alone, with the turn signals integrated into the taillight.

Cannot opine on exhausts, I don't know much about which costs what.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Any protection is better than none....saying that those gloves are probably not going to hold up. If you were buying bilt they make gloves as well and I'd trust those more than those paintball gloves. Mesh over the years has gotten better but nothing compared to leather but for price not bad and they will protect! If you can check out tstindustries.com they have good deals on integrated tail lights and fender eliminators great quality I've bought them before and loved it. Exhaust well that's up to you and what you can afford/like. If buying a slip on don't worry about performance all you are really doing is dropping weight. If buying full exhaust remember you will need some sort of fuel management controller like a Power Commander or Bazzaz.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
First the statements any is better than none and only if worn ring VERY TRUE.

Wish you had asked earlier, with a little patience you could have gone full leather name brand used for the same money.
Start checking out Sport Track Time FORUM, find out what sizes you wear and sooner or later what your looking for will come up, more times than not will be one piece.
But some great two piece will show up.
I started with two piece which I still use when I ride on the street, so taking the jacket off at lunch stops. Make sure it's a 3/4 full zippered setup.

Also check out New Enough Stuff Motorcycle Gear and motorcycle super store they have great closeouts.
Bought my first Gp gloves for $80 gauntlet.

Whats your skin, pain worth. Don't cheap out and no matter how freaking hot wear the gear.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Where's the jacket? And where's the boots? I would have suggested boots and a jacket before pants.

Also, you should return the gloves ASAP. The last thing you want in the palms is a bunch of sticky silicon stripes. The only plus side to them is that the palms are going to shred immediately when they hit the asphalt. So, even though they have the silicon gripers they won't be able to transfer too much energy into your wrists, elbows or shoulders.

You want a good leather palm in them with low friction sliders. That's what going to protect you in the crash. You want abrasion protection and you want the palms to slide when they hit the ground. If they grab the ground, it's going to transfer all the force directly into the joints of your arms. Even a $5 pair of work gloves will be better than those gloves.

AGV Sport Stiletto Gloves (Closeout) - Sportbike Track Gear

Sidi Kalahari Gloves Black (Special Buy) - Sportbike Track Gear

AGV Sport Veloce Gloves Blue (Closeout) - Sportbike Track Gear

Just a few of the closeout glove STG has right now.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
I'm not going to tell you how to spend your money, but:

1. Agree with Nat on the gloves... Those need to go. Sport bike Track Gear has closeouts. Buy leather when you can. Also check WERA classifieds for used gear that can be cheaper.
2. Rather than the fender eliminator and exhaust, my next mods would be full length riding boots and rider education, aka a track day.
3. For future reference and as a general rule of thumb, avoid Cycle Gear stuff (includes Bilt and Sedici) if you can.
Cheers.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
3. For future reference and as a general rule of thumb, avoid Cycle Gear stuff (includes Bilt and Sedici) if you can.
While I understand why you added this I don't 100% agree. True... they aren't the best in the world but... Sedici and Bilt will do the job. The difference is... they'll only do the job once.

I'd buy Sedici over the Bilt every time. Slightly better build quality and better materials.

Both are cheap and you can find a Cycle Gear almost anywhere. I've seen plenty of Sedici full suits take a pretty decent slide and crash and still hold up. :O And for a few hundred bux that's not bad.

·
Registered
78 Posts
With respect to gloves: I pulled up sportbiketrackgear.com and sorted by gauntlet gloves priced low to high. This was the first pair (available in size large) I would consider if I lost my good gloves on a ride and needed to borrow a pair to ride back home. $50...

Regardless I would recommend the best protection you can afford and ride with all the gear every time you ride.

Another consideration: The Graves fender elimnator kit keeps the stock turn signals which are more visible than many aftermarket options.

Nothing wrong with running with a stock muffler and spending the money in more important places IMO.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With respect to gloves: I pulled up sportbiketrackgear.com and sorted by gauntlet gloves priced low to high. This was the first pair (available in size large) I would consider if I lost my good gloves on a ride and needed to borrow a pair to ride back home. $50...

Regardless I would recommend the best protection you can afford and ride with all the gear every time you ride.

Another consideration: The Graves fender elimnator kit keeps the stock turn signals which are more visible than many aftermarket options.

Nothing wrong with running with a stock muffler and spending the money in more important places IMO.
yeah I knew I was being a dickhead ordering those gloves when I put em in the cart lol. I'ma probably throw some gauntlets in there when I get my kit+exhaust. By the way, I'm getting the exhaust for safety. A lot of people drive with music high, not paying attention, etc. so the loud pipe kinda forces these assholes to be aware of a motorcyclist nearby.

But about that kit, how does it work exactly? Like how do I use the stock turn signal lights if I'm taking off the fender? I'm extremely green (no pun intended) so I haven't the first clue about motorcycle modifications.

Oh and for the guys asking about my jacket, yeah i got a hi viz joe rodeo. It's textile but I'm confident it will protect me as much as any other jacket if I go down.

·
Registered
34 Posts
By the way, I'm getting the exhaust for safety. A lot of people drive with music high, not paying attention, etc. so the loud pipe kinda forces these assholes to be aware of a motorcyclist nearby.
"Loud pipes save lives" is a myth. If you are coming up behind someone, even with a loud bike, chances are they are still oblivious. And even if they can hear you, most of the time they won't pay attention to the noise if they can't see you. Just buy an exhaust you like. If you like loud that's all well and good but it is not a safety features. That's my 2 cents :O

·
Super Moderator
12,238 Posts
:popcorn:

Guys this might turn into a loud pipes save lives thread.

Ey3

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
This thread has the makings of a real winner.

The what gear is best, the bashing of Cycle Gear Bilt and Sedici, and now the loud pipes save lives topic.

The only thing left is if he asks what oil and filter he should use and what tires he should buy.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

·
Registered
768 Posts
This thread has the makings of a real winner.

The what gear is best, the bashing of Cycle Gear Bilt and Sedici, and now the loud pipes save lives topic.

The only thing left is if he asks what oil and filter he should use and what tires he should buy.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
This might seem crazy, but how about less ragging on the guy, and providing him more information? I get it, we like to entertain ourselves, deriding the "noob", but for a change of pace, how about we provide him the the best information available, and let him make an informed decision about what products are the most sensible to buy, given a certain set of criteria? Again, he's proved he's open to suggestion, and admirably so, so perhaps we should do what we can, to steer him into good decisions?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
This might seem crazy, but how about less ragging on the guy, and providing him more information? I get it, we like to entertain ourselves, deriding the "noob", but for a change of pace, how about we provide him the the best information available, and let him make an informed decision about what products are the most sensible to buy, given a certain set of criteria? Again, he's proved he's open to suggestion, and admirably so, so perhaps we should do what we can, to steer him into good decisions?
See my first post in this thread.

·
Registered
768 Posts
See my first post in this thread.
Thank you, for providing quality input. I'm one of those ATTGAT guys, so I can appreciate your input. Seriously, I gear up to go to the grocery store, less than a mile away.

MaFIA, understand you'll get a certain amount of ribbing for selecting poor gear, but that all of the snark comes from a good place, in that this community, as a whole, wants to see you come through any situation intact. With that in mind, ditch all the gear you have, that isn't made specifically for motorcycling, and upgrade. It'll be more responsive on the controls, and infinitely better in the event of a crash.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts