Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki ninja zx6r white/grey
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try as hard as I can to keep motorcycle motorcycle nice. I work for the school district at night and I always put my bike in the office or in a custodial closet. At home it’s under a sheet in the garage. I wipe the dust off daily as it’s my daily. Now my first sign of damage. Now I can ride in the rain and leave it in the sun I don’t care anymore. sigh....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Howd that happen?
I honestly don’t know, but I’m thinking it’s a rock. Where I live there’s tons of lifted trucks and no one has mud-flaps it’s really irritating especially when they hit me in the kneecap or knuckles.

·
Registered
14,580 Posts
I would be very surprised if that wasn’t well over whatever your deductible is, and even more so that a road hazard event wouldn’t raise your rates. Discuss filing a claim with your insurance agent

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would be very surprised if that wasn’t well over whatever your deductible is, and even more so that a road hazard event wouldn’t raise your rates. Discuss filing a claim with your insurance agent
My deductible is 500 and the front fairing quote I got from a dealer was 234 bucks. Idk what I’m going to do

·
Registered
14,580 Posts
My deductible is 500 and the front fairing quote I got from a dealer was 234 bucks. Idk what I’m going to do
Road hazard deductible is not usually the same as the accident deductible. If a rock hits the windshield of a car, deductible is $50, or so. You didn’t do anything wrong, there shouldn’t be a penalty against you.
With labor, the $234 cowl will be a lot closer to 3 times the parts cost to install.
If you are willing to take the time and are quite patient, you could do that labor yourself. Taking the fairings off the bike, taking them apart, mounting the new cowl into you other good plastics, then mounting the complete assembly back onto the bike is time consuming, and a bit fiddly….. but oh, so satisfying.

·
Director of Moderation
7,502 Posts
There are lots of people selling their pristine bodywork as they change their bikes over for racing, I bet you can find a front fairing for pretty cheap that's in excellent condition. I wouldn't bother with dealers. Buying a new one from them and having them install it is gonna be expensive.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I try as hard as I can to keep motorcycle motorcycle nice. I work for the school district at night and I always put my bike in the office or in a custodial closet. At home it’s under a sheet in the garage. I wipe the dust off daily as it’s my daily. Now my first sign of damage. Now I can ride in the rain and leave it in the sun I don’t care anymore. sigh.... View attachment 108792 View attachment 108793
you have far too much anxiety over your motorcycle.........

Either buck up and buy and the new piece and replace it and be "pristine again" or just live with it...........

$234 is nothing and I only wish my nose fairing was so cheap! I wouldm have 3 sitting in the basement waiting for when the sand pelted front looks worse than I can tolerate or when the mental retarded deer jump out in front of me next......because I know there will a next, a couple weekends agao I damn near hit #9- it couldn't have been but inches from contact

Reactions: laggy311

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Either buck up and buy and the new piece and replace it and be "pristine again" or just live with it...........

$234 is nothing and I only wish my nose fairing was so cheap! I wouldm have 3 sitting in the basement waiting for when the sand pelted front looks worse than I can tolerate or when the mental retarded deer jump out in front of me next......because I know there will a next, a couple weekends agao I damn near hit #9- it couldn't have been but inches from contact
I’m keeping this bike until 100,000 miles or I crash. My second bike will either be a Zx10r brand new of the lot or a Ducati v4. Can’t decide. It’s hard because I freak out over $10,000 bike I can’t imagine a $20,000+ bike but it also wouldn’t be my daily.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I honestly don’t know, but I’m thinking it’s a rock. Where I live there’s tons of lifted trucks and no one has mud-flaps it’s really irritating especially when they hit me in the kneecap or knuckles.
In order to sustain that kind of rock damage you must be traveling on a highway? Get yourself some proper riding gloves with knuckle protection and knee/shin guards. They are like 20 bucks at Cycle gear.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I’m keeping this bike until 100,000 miles or I crash. My second bike will either be a Zx10r brand new of the lot or a Ducati v4. Can’t decide. It’s hard because I freak out over $10,000 bike I can’t imagine a $20,000+ bike but it also wouldn’t be my daily.
Well in 100,000 miles on my current ride I have hit 4 deer, a dog, several birds and squirrels and had it pelted with sand and rocks from oncoming vehicles and catching up to slow traffic and I have thrown it down the road twice sadly....

I just buy new bodywork when it gets too beat up, and believe me I like it to look nice. I just don't obsess over it and that small chip I would just live with, but as cheap as your upper seems to be I think I would buy one while it is cheap and hord it for winter replacement or some major damage replacement later

I had found all "brand new looking take offs including a tank" oem bodywork for my bike on Ebay years and years ago and bought it, and it just sat in my basement for about 4 years before I needed it, but by then it was about a $1800 savings- it was worth the "investment"

and I plan to ride this bike into the ground. 256k on the last bike and goal is to go further on this one, but at the current rate of riding I will die before I get there.............

·
Registered
14,580 Posts
Another layer of protection for the plastics is probably a good idea as well…. The plastic film applied to cars to reduce the damage from rock chips would be cheap insurance compared to replacement of parts.

More importantly, to have big enough shit hitting that high up on the bike….. how close are you following things with unsecured loads?

·
Registered
9,641 Posts

$234 is nothing and I only wish my nose fairing was so cheap! I wouldm have 3 sitting in the basement waiting for when the sand pelted front looks worse than I can tolerate or when the mental retarded DUMBOCRAP deer jump out in front of me next......because I know there will a next, a couple weekends agao I damn near hit #9- it couldn't have been but inches from contact
Ftfy

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
^lol

Reactions: laggy311

·
Registered
267 Posts
Dude I have repaired my fairing at least 3 times... and if you care enough you will re-repair it till it looks good.

fiiiiiiix it!

I also added thin dynamat a while back on repair #1... I'm pretty sure it kept all the cracked bits together for me to repair it for #2 and #3

·
Registered
681 Posts
I was complaining about the small amount of damage on my ZX6R when I jumped off and it fell over - sitting at a stop sign and an idiot almost hit me! My wife said "its like you now it has scars"! I would but the new fairing and wait for to put it on. That will ensure it doesn't get more damage :)

My current bike (2020 Tracer GT) just turned a year old and has 16,000 miles on it! When I traded bikes in Sioux Falls SD noticed it had some scratches on one of the side cases. Been meaning to paint the lid but haven't done it yet. Just returned from a long trip and I've got to wash the bugs off so I can see if it has any damage. Went from Alabama thru Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan UP, Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho (just barely), Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas and Mississippi. Generally avoid interstates and big cities an when in traffic tend to not follow to closely. However there is always stuff on the road. This trip going up thru Michigan was passing an 18 wheeler and saw something get tossed up in the air. It was spinning rapidly and looked like maybe a hose clamp. I flicked the bike over and physically moved to my left but it was close. Later looking at the front fairing I noticed a scuffed place on the side of the right fairing just below my handlebar. I remember being surprised at not feeling it hit me as it was very close!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts