Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my 05 636 has the ignition lock problem where it won't turn to off/park without jiggling it for an hour (tried spraying lube inside; didn't work) and I just want to make it where I can use any key to turn it but keep my stock key for gas/pillion.

Essentially I want to be able to lock the forks but have the ignition lock still be there for looks only. If anyone is gonna steal my bike it wouldn't really stop them anyway. I keep it parked in my garage, so I'm not really concerned.

I read something about taking it to a locksmith and having them "drill out the tumblers" but I'm not really sure if that's possible.

I could replace the whole ignition with a switch, but I really just want to keep it as is for the stock look and to keep people from seeing it doesn't actually require a key.

Make sense?

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
I set up my 06 r6 track bike with a keyless ignition setup. I left the ignition in place so it looked like a key was required to start it.

I used the on/off switch by the throttle as my "ignition" others have run the ignition wires to an inconspicuous/hidden switch.

It's notoriously easy on the r6, not sure how easy it is on your gen zx6r.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I set up my 06 r6 track bike with a keyless ignition setup. I left the ignition in place so it looked like a key was required to start it.

I used the on/off switch by the throttle as my "ignition" others have run the ignition wires to an inconspicuous/hidden switch.

It's notoriously easy on the r6, not sure how easy it is on your gen zx6r.
Yeah, I've considered that, but I'd just like to be able to lock the forks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
A locksmith can fix or replace your tumbler. No drilling involved. I've had a few lock cores on things changed.
They are usually happiest when the lock fits on their bench, but if you don't want to take the top triple off they should still be able to help you.

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
If you break the ignition then ur not gonna be able to lock the forks either. Well u could...but any other key or a screwdriver will be able to unlock it as well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A locksmith can fix or replace your tumbler. No drilling involved. I've had a few lock cores on things changed.
They are usually happiest when the lock fits on their bench, but if you don't want to take the top triple off they should still be able to help you.
I'll take it off and see what my options are. If nothing, it's getting broken! :D

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
Put a huge flathead bit onto a breaker bar. Insert it into the ignition and hold it in as u turn the breaker bar. Itll snap all the shit in there and might deform the cover a bit.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
What in the hell!? Why!!!!? Try explaining that one when you go to sell the bike:coocoo

Have you tried getting a new key cut? Is your key worn? WD-40?

Edit: might sound stupid (but this whole thread does tbh) but you do know that you have to press the key down as you turn it to lock, right?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What in the hell!? Why!!!!? Try explaining that one when you go to sell the bike:coocoo

Have you tried getting a new key cut? Is your key worn? WD-40?

Edit: might sound stupid (but this whole thread does tbh) but you do know that you have to press the key down as you turn it to lock, right?
1) I'm not selling the bike, but if I were I'd just explain it how I explained it here, or replace the entire key/lock set.

2) It's not the key. It's the ignition cylinder that's the problem. WD 40 or graphite lubrication does not work.

3) Yes, I know you have to press down. LOL

I'm not concerned about my bike getting stolen. I had originally intended to remove the ignition cylinder and replace it with a toggle switch, but I'd rather keep the ability to lock the forks as sometimes there are children around and if they manage to get in my garage I'd rather them not be able to turn the forks and possibly knock the bike over on themselves.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
another stupid one but possible

have you tried wiggling the steering while trying to turn the key??

·
Registered
46 Posts
Tulsa, OK, huh? and what's your license plate number? LMK when you accomplish this. Oh and when you see me driving out of your work parking lot with your bike don't worry about calling the cops I'll have a new license plate and fairings waiting for it right around the corner ;)

Get it fixed, don't be stupid. Bikes can get stolen anywhere, not just your house.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tulsa, OK, huh? and what's your license plate number? LMK when you accomplish this. Oh and when you see me driving out of your work parking lot with your bike don't worry about calling the cops I'll have a new license plate and fairings waiting for it right around the corner ;)

Get it fixed, don't be stupid. Bikes can get stolen anywhere, not just your house.
I tell you what, if you could actually get into my parking garage I'd let you have my bike. LOL I work for a Fortune 200 company and we use fingerprint authentication for Parking Access (underground).

Anyway, anyone that is dead set on stealing a bike is gonna steal it, either by popping the ignition or loading it into a truck/van.

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
I tell you what, if you could actually get into my parking garage I'd let you have my bike. LOL I work for a Fortune 200 company and we use fingerprint authentication for Parking Access (underground).

Anyway, anyone that is dead set on stealing a bike is gonna steal it, either by popping the ignition or loading it into a truck/van.
Its kinda stupid using fingerprint authentication for a parking lot cause all someone has to do is wait for a car to go in and walk in there after the gate opens.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.