Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, im at a bit of a loose end and hoping someone who actually knows what they're talking about can help me.

Long story short, i bought a ZX6R F model track bike that needed a new engine(Gearbox was dead) , so i put one in there, simple job really.

Then when doing up the thermostat housing i snapped a bolt in the head, lovely jubbly...ANYWAY!... i took the head off the old engine and slipped it on the bike. So, when i fitted then cams in, chain on etc but they wont spin? I saw some dude online say to turn the crank at the bottom of the engine to T1.4 before i fitted the cams, which i did then fitted it all up and if i try to turn the crank, it just locks.

Am i missing something? because without the cams in, and i just put a bar through the chain, it'll spin all the way round.

I'm in no way a mechnic but im not a complete newbie with a spanner, just bought this bike as a project/experience gainer type thing butim at the point now where im about to sell it on at a loss.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
^ What he said. When looking at your crank, the 1.4 line should line up with the split in the case on the left side (opposite the timing mechanism). Then, your exhaust cam dash/line should be flat with the head (relatively 9 o'clock) and the intake cam line should be flush with the head (relatively 3 o'clock). Your cams should have a factory white dot on those dashes as well to make it simple. From there, do not spin the crank until you have the cams bolted down and the tensioner installed correctly (just follow the online manual, google "zx600-f manual" and it comes up as a PDF).

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Also - are those newer model forks or did you retrofit a newer fender?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts