Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've noticed alot of what sounds like rattle coming from the right side of the engine. The bike still rides and feels great but while riding without headphones can hear an awful lot going on inside the engine. My bike is a 2005 zx6r and I've tried tightening the cam chain tightening bolt (the 10mm) and it didnt help much if at at all even. Theres not much info I've found on YT or this forum so I'm asking for help if anyone can offer it. Pictures and specs (torque, sound, examples,ect) would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all who have stopped by. :D

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
It should have an automatic cam chain tensioner unless somebody swapped it out for an aftermarket manual cam chain tensioner (not really a good idea). If it is an OEM automatic cam chain tensioner, then you won't be able to adjust it by tightening the bolt. I would recommend removing it and cleaning/greasing it, and then reinstalling it. For instructions on that procedure, download the Service Manual for your year model here: Master Service Manual Thread

If it is a manual cam chain tensioner, then I would suggest getting an OEM automatic tensioner and installing that. Manual cam chain tensioners will most likely damage the plastic cam chain guides due to always being slightly too tight.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
This is extremely common and referred to as the Kawi tick. As mentioned above, as long as the auto cam chain tensioner is still present in your bike and working as it should, you do not need to do anything.

The cam chain rattles when it is in between adjustments. Since the cam chain tensioner is a mechanical part, it can only adjust when it's able to "reach" the next adjustment, leaving this purgatory of when the cam chain will rattle a bit.

I also agree with above, manual cam chain tensioner is not the answer, as you'll have to keep up with the adjustment yourself and inaccuracy of the adjustment can result in catastrophic results.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is extremely common and referred to as the Kawi tick. As mentioned above, as long as the auto cam chain tensioner is still present in your bike and working as it should, you do not need to do anything.

The cam chain rattles when it is in between adjustments. Since the cam chain tensioner is a mechanical part, it can only adjust when it's able to "reach" the next adjustment, leaving this purgatory of when the cam chain will rattle a bit.

I also agree with above, manual cam chain tensioner is not the answer, as you'll have to keep up with the adjustment yourself and inaccuracy of the adjustment can result in catastrophic results.
Thank you guys for responding. This "Tick" just doesn't seem right to me. I love my bike and dumped a lot of time and money into rebuilding it, and would hate to see it die on my with only 10k miles.... AGAIN thank you for responding this has go me kind worried for my engine as the cams are already loud as hell in this engine...more noise just didn't seem right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts