Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any one give me some feed back ? my 1998 G1 has a rattle on start up then disapeers. She has been stood for 4-5 weeks but was fine when i put her away. i had the cam chain tensioner out and checked to see if it was stuck as i heard this was a known problem, but it seems fine. She has only done 3500 miles. Any body have any ideas :confused

·
Registered
553 Posts
could be just a loose bolt somewhere, may not be in the engine at all. I'm no mechanic though.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Was it only once and only after sitting a long time? Its not terribly unusual for oil to drain away from bearings and such after sitting for a while, then on start up they clank around till oil gets pumped where it needs to be.

Valves will also clatter a bit more when cold than when hot.

good luck

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
If it does it more than once after a long stand, try changing the oil filter, the anti drain back / presure blow off valve might be leaking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The tensioner might seem fine when the part is cold and in your hands but, heat has a funny way of making parts do funny things (or cold for that matter). You said that it rattles when you start up the bike and then goes away...I'm guessing that heat is the reason the rattle dissapates after it's warmed up. I would guess that your first guess of the tensioner was the correct one. I would try either replacing the tensioner or having the local dealer tighten the cam chain @ the shop.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help fitted a new tensioner last night she runs as smooth as . Stripped the old one down seems fine tho. so dont know what the problem with it was. The only thing i found is that the new one has been modified and has done the trick.

Next project rear undertray and tailtidy.

Cheers lads

1 - 6 of 6 Posts