Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checking in to see if anyone on here has been affected or is close by to the Wildfires out west.

How close are you to the fire? Still at your home? Or did you pack everything into the rear seat of your ZX and leave? Most important are you ok?

Reactions: RJ2112

·
Registered
13,111 Posts
One of the graphics generated recently, superimposed the burnt area of the campfire burn over the SF area....greater than from the coast, inland past Berkeley, all the way South past San Jose. More than one large fire burning, too.

Rugged terrain, high winds, tinder dry conditions.... Lots of fuel on the ground...... Just a spark, and away it goes. The multiple mountain chains are many hundreds of miles long with significant populations scattered throughout. It's amazing that the death toll is so low, tbh. (I have quite a number of relatives East of Sacramento in the mountains, all safe at the moment)

The weather is getting more energetic, and the patterns are changing throughout the hemisphere. Hard to argue those observations. The why, is moot.
Whether anything can be done to stem the tide...... Highly unlikely, imho. Too far down the rabbit hole for that. Shutting down energy consumption won't happen in any meaningful way, locally or globally. And unlikely to be the sole contributor. A factor, and the only one we can exercise any potential control over.....

There will be more and worse, coming.

This is a map of the coastal mountains of Washington and Oregon with the fires overlaid from the past few hundred years. Pink, orange and red areas have all burnt to the ground in the past, without the level of industrialization we have now.

No reason to think this pattern will care about people being in the way.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
I've got at least 3 friends that were evacuated the first day in the fire in Thousand Oaks/Malibu. Also an ex girlfriend who had to leave her house with her 5 year old twins. That first day was crazy for her..... that shooting was about 2 miles from her place also. They're all OK and haven't lost their homes. But not everyone has been so lucky.

I've dug through the ashes of my ex wifes parents house after there's went up in the Jesusita Fire in Santa Barbara back in 2011. My heart goes out to everyone who's had to deal with that pain... it's not something I'll ever wish on anyone. Don't care how much money someone has or what kind of view they have... nobody deserves to lose everything they've ever accumulated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts