Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buzzing sound coming from what I would call the dash. Its the cowling behind the meter. It's around 6,000 to 8,000 I have pin pointed to this area when riding I can put my hand over it, and it stops. I have seen some talk about this on the forum little while back didn't know if someone found a fix. I would take it to the dealer to see if its covered under warranty but I have some aftermarket accessorys on the bike I feel like they would tell me to pound sand.

·
Registered
879 Posts
if the bike is new from the dealer, take it back and have them work on it for free. don't worry about your accessories.

if you want to do it yourself, download the service manual for the 2013 (it's available somewhere here, eviltwin might be able to help you out) and take the upper front cowling off and make sure everything is bolted to spec. pain the ass but if you want it done right do it yourself :)

·
Registered
679 Posts
if the bike is new from the dealer, take it back and have them work on it for free. don't worry about your accessories.

if you want to do it yourself, download the service manual for the 2013 (it's available somewhere here, eviltwin might be able to help you out) and take the upper front cowling off and make sure everything is bolted to spec. pain the ass but if you want it done right do it yourself :)
Before taking off the whole front cowling, I would just double check all the fairing bolts, mirror bolts, or any bolts you can visually see around the area you hear buzzing. If that doesn't work, take the inner fender off from the front and have a look up inside and see if you can tighten anything there. I think it's best to avoid pulling the fairing off and putting it on as much as you can since its a pain in the ass and time consuming. Plus you don't want to break any of the tabs off. Though, if all else fails, then it's time to pull them off.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I know this may sound dumb but do you have other keys attached to your bike key?

I noticed that buzzing sound a few weeks after purchasing my new bike and it annoyed me, I couldn't for the life of me figure out where it was coming from.

Then one day I took just my motorcycle key and noticed that the buzzing had stopped.

It was the other keys attached to my carabiner that were making the bussing noise.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The front cowling is a paint in the ass.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know this may sound dumb but do you have other keys attached to your bike key?

I noticed that buzzing sound a few weeks after purchasing my new bike and it annoyed me, I couldn't for the life of me figure out where it was coming from.

Then one day I took just my motorcycle key and noticed that the buzzing had stopped.

It was the other keys attached to my carabiner that were making the bussing noise.
Never really checked that out. I do have one other key attached.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before taking off the whole front cowling, I would just double check all the fairing bolts, mirror bolts, or any bolts you can visually see around the area you hear buzzing. If that doesn't work, take the inner fender off from the front and have a look up inside and see if you can tighten anything there. I think it's best to avoid pulling the fairing off and putting it on as much as you can since its a pain in the ass and time consuming. Plus you don't want to break any of the tabs off. Though, if all else fails, then it's time to pull them off.
Yeah I need to do one more thorogh inspection before unbloting stuff. I think I need some of those cheep push pin clips around the inner fender anyways.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Dropped off bike today for 600 mile oil change. Today was first day I rode where temp was above 70. Not a buzz to be heard. I asked dealer to check but told him I couldn't hear it today. He has come accross the sound on some Zx6 and 10 and will check the usual places.

·
Registered
580 Posts
dude....seriously...change your own oil. become one with the bike. do your own maintenance. get zen with it.
Normally I would but I am away on biz for a week so figured why not drop it off for this one the. When I get back Sunday it's ready for me on Monday. Did plenty of them on my CBr as it had 27k miles. That filter behind the headers was a pain. Zx should be easier.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts