Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been lucky enough to always buy used ninjas with the money i got from my previous ninja. i usually go by feel of the bike, opening up the throttle. bike maintance list record, reciept. what are things that you guys do.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I tend to buy used all the time with spare cash. If it rides straight semi maintaned and no issues on the test ride i take it. Usually at a retarded low price but on top of that.

Cosmetics mean nothing to me. So scratches are just an easy way to drop the price.

On top of that if it feels decent on the ride take it than once you get it home tear it apart and see what you are working with.

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Yeah cosmetics are an easy fix so tha ts ok. I usually check for any leaks. Then I check out the engine mounts to make sure theyre good. Then Ill check the frame for any cracks or signs of re-weldingThen Ill start it up and see if it sounds right. And finally Ill ride it to see if it rides straight.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Id check tires, how thick the brake pads are, look through the sight gals and peek at oil, check fork seals, look at chain and sprockets, start it up and listen to motor, make sure the stator is charging battery(buddy of mine got fucked on this), check for bends in clip ons if it has been dropped, take for quick ride make sure it shifts well and brakes properly, last if theres cosmetic damage talk them down on the price.

Yea I should of looked around when I bought mine. Just told them it needed a new rear tire then Just handed them cash and ride 2 hours home in the rain. Haha

·
Registered
143 Posts
One tip is always bring a second pair of eyes (that know their way around a bike hopefully) just to make sure u don't miss anything. Check fluid levels, frame for any damage,brakes, chain/ sprokets, forks, always test ride it will tell u a lot

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys. i have cash right now, which is hard for me to get now a days. what about break ins i heard the first 20 miles are crutial to outcome of the engine. it can be a game changer

·
Registered
14,141 Posts
thanks guys. i have cash right now, which is hard for me to get now a days. what about break ins i heard the first 20 miles are crutial to outcome of the engine. it can be a game changer
If you are buying used, you have no control of that......:nana:

If you are buying new, the first 30 minutes of run time on the motor will determine how well the rings seat. That will affect engine power through out the life of the motor. The best seal you can get will give you the best compression, which gives you the best power.:devious

The first 1,000 miles (call that 20 hours) will ensure the spacing on the bearings. This is a mixed message, and calls for experience to avoid crashing during that first 30 minutes:crazy followed by gentle riding for the next 20 hours. The two do not go together well.:dowhat

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I read some good stuff above. That Guide is probably your best bet.

For me...

I did a walk around looking for damage to anything. Then got in closer and looked at the exposed frame sections. Checking for new welds or anything fishy. I looked at the rotors and the brakes, as best I could. Chain slack. Flash light app on my phone and checked inside the gas tank, making sure there was no rust.

Arcadia Motorcycles (several hours from you, but worth it). His bikes actually come with a SHORT warranty. I don't remember but, just call Lyon. He'll treat you right. Prices are good and all the paperwork is done right there (reg, etc) and you are buying a bike with fresh oil, etc.

http://arcadiamotorcycleco.com/showroom/

Disclaimer : I'm aware Craigslist probably has better prices. Some of us don't like to dick around with A holes. If I want something, I'm going to go get it... I don't want to dance around with you. Plus you are also paying for the maintenance that he's done on it prior to you buying it and the warranty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts