Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Picked up a BigTex 5x8 utility trailer, gonna do some mods over the next couple of weeks and will post pictures:

• installing Pitbull TRS
  • painting boards with Behr Deckover Textured Paint
  • adding spare tire mount
  • some type of tool box up front over the nose
  • gonna try to build an extension to the existing ramp

·
Registered
785 Posts
I can confirm that the double axle trailers are a bit of a pain. I've got a 7x14 dual axle that is great on internal space, but it's a handful for my F150. I came home one day in a fierce head wind and it was really putting a strain on the engine and tranny even on flat terrain. In normal conditions my mileage drops from 16 on the highway to about 9. On the other hand, I've got a Kendon folding trailer which is awesome. I can't even tell its back there with two bikes on it, and essentially no loss of fuel economy. The only problem with that is that the bikes are in the open when staying at motels and the like so there's definitely a downside. It has a torsion axle as well so the bikes ride pretty nicely.

i think your open bed utility trailer is a reasonable compromise. The idea of selling your house so you can fit a bigger trailer sounded a bit extreme!

Reactions: Strider

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just got a used hf trailer...its old..1986 old but it looks like an option if i rebuild it...scary loading bike up a ramp into the truck...i rented a uhaul trailer once..expensive to buy but super sturdy...
You could look into used trailers..maybe uhaul sells some

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So here's the new rig, and after yesterday's track day I can def say this was the right way to go for me for right now. Fits in the garage if I ever get a code enforcement issue. Otherwise it's just right for getting to and from the track easily. Pitbull TRS is the only thing I'll ever use now to transport bikes lol. Thanks you guys for your inputs. Oh, and I'm 3 seconds faster (probably not because of the trailer). Hitting 1:35s consistently at PBIR.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

So today’s project to the new trailer was to add a front chock for a little extra reassurance and stability. And a spot to drop my gas cans in nice and easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I can confirm that the double axle trailers are a bit of a pain. I've got a 7x14 dual axle that is great on internal space, but it's a handful for my F150. I came home one day in a fierce head wind and it was really putting a strain on the engine and tranny even on flat terrain. In normal conditions my mileage drops from 16 on the highway to about 9. On the other hand, I've got a Kendon folding trailer which is awesome. I can't even tell its back there with two bikes on it, and essentially no loss of fuel economy. The only problem with that is that the bikes are in the open when staying at motels and the like so there's definitely a downside. It has a torsion axle as well so the bikes ride pretty nicely.

i think your open bed utility trailer is a reasonable compromise. The idea of selling your house so you can fit a bigger trailer sounded a bit extreme!
+1 on the Kendon trailers. They are really good!

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
I have this little (used to be) 4x6 trailer, that I cut the front off and removed the wire mesh decking and put down 7'3" deck boards bolted to all the frame rails

this is the one that I generally will loan out to customers to go get their bike and bring it here, but I have taken it to AR a few times behind the Mustang too....

It tows real nice and it only weighs in at just over 340lbs........

Attachments

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Only because this is trailer related story...........

So my small 4x7 open trailer I have had about 13-14 years now........ it has been flawless in its use

Then about 10 years ago I got a replacement for a 5x8 flat front enclosed trailer that was maybe 13-14 years old by then.... in that I bought a 5x10 V-nose enclosed (one of my trackriders who owned it was quitting track riding and offered a deal I could not pass up, help sell their trackbike and the trailer is mine for $900)..... besides the pain in the ass of no side door access on this 5x10, it fits 2 bikes and gear and everything in between....... It was the perfect trailer for picking up and sometimes delivering customers bikes or going on solo trips to AR, TN, VIR etc.... ( I had 4 different chock locations mounted in it and 14 5000 lb flat access tie down points and an insulated ceiling to keep it a little cooler in the summer)

then in spring of 2018 I bought a new 7x14 v-nose (girlfriend was having her mom move to MN from CA and I didn't think )based upon what they sent me pics of and stated was coming with) that I could get it all in the 5x10.........
So I bought the trailer made the trip (she did not even fill the trailer 1/2 full, likely only 1/3 full....ugh- waste of my monies, like $4800 worth of waste)
I used the trailer as a sort of holding ground for bikes with parts on terminal hold for the past 2 years with it only moving from its parked spot 3 times in 2 years..... once last year when my gf bought a townhome and needed a new bed/mattress etc delivered to her new digs from the store (about 7 miles total trip) and once this Aug when my parents bought a new mattress (about 5 miles total trip) and then once this year (May) when I stuffed about 150 motorcycle tires inside to take to the recyclers (about 30 mile round trip)........ so what is it 4300 total miles on the trailer.....
So last year I had decided to list both trailers up for sale as I did not need two enclosed trailers...... Sadly the smaller trailer sold when I really wanted the big trailer to sell, but I just needed one gone........
So the big trailer has been just how I purchased it this whole time, no tie down points added, no wheel chocks, nothing, did absolutely nothing with it..... And as such couldn't use it for picking up any customer bikes either, would just take the small 4x7 open trailer all the time......

So fast forward to a couple days ago..... the guy who purchased my 5x10 trailer asks me if I am interested in buying it back.... He has financial issues and is turning in his leased truck etc and is looking for some cash and wants this to go since he will no longer be able to haul it anywhere (he says he used it about 6000 miles including a few rent outs since he bought it from me)
anyways, so I figured I would put the big trailer back up for sale again and see if there were any nibbles.........

I put an ad up on facecrook marketplace in 7 different pages and bam....... within minutes I had some interested people contacting me, and within 20 minutes of listing a couple people were getting directions and setting up the time today to come buy it........ ( I had them scheduled only about 10 minutes apart - fully expecting one or both would not arrive)
So within an hour of listing one of those guys showed up with 36 crisp hundos (my full ask price) and spent about 15 minutes talking- mostly about the trailer, but general bs too and then he hands me the stack of hudos and says he wants it...... He came via a motorcycle and was on his way to a Trump rally (about 25 miles away) so he says he would come back later to pick it up, or tomorrow.......... anyways, so maybe 20 minutes total he is here when the other guy shows up, finds out it is already sold (in a Honda crossover of some type --clearly wasn't going to be towing it home behind this!)... come to find out he is going to the same Trump rally....lol
by the time I get back inside to pull the ad down I had about a dozen more people claiming to want to come pick it up today.......... I almost feel like I should have listed it for a couple hundred more..... but I am very excited and relieved that the sale was quick and easy and happened right away without drama or a bunch of my time wasted...

* So the last time I listed both trailers (seperate ads) I got nearly zero response, and most of the ones who did reply never answered when I replied to their reply, and those who claimed to be "serious buyers" never showed up..... Not one person in 3 months showed up or gave a second attempt/reply to buying the big trailer

Anyways..now it's time to get back my 5x10 enclosed and I am even going to make him happier with giving him about 200 more than he is asking (since I know what he paid me for it). woohoo!!

I know this is long like many of my posts, but this made my day today and felt I would share.....

Now what to do with 3 STS stands and 12 brand new in the package 5000lb anchors and the 3 front wheel chocks I have sitting here for the big trailer..........

oh yeah......... And I offered this trailer to one of my customers for $600 less since she has been a customer about a dozen years and she is looking for a 7x12 or 7x14 tandem axle (so perfect fit and she would save about $1900 over new) but she hymed and hawed and complained that the side door height and ramp door height were only 5'6" and 5'9" respectively, and she thought she would be banging her head or whatever.... she is 5'7.5" so with riding boots, maybe.....
Now she is not happy I sold it, despite she has been out looking at other trailers and kind of blew me off and "whined" about interior height, door height, no anchors, no chocks etc........WTF, anyways..........

I still feel like I gave her a chance to jump on it and she didn't (for 3 days) so you snooze you lose, I even told her I was listing this weekend when I talked to her Thursday night and she didn't say "no, I for sure want it" or anything to make me think she wanted it.... ugh

yea for me, now I have some spare extra cash to do something with, just for me....... like more guns and ammo.....or maybe just some updates to current guns? but for sure a trip to the "expensive" range for some active target shooting.... I have a hard time justifying a $200 entry fee for what will be little over an hour on the new and improved active gun range, but I have not used it yet and really want to try it out just because......
The rest of it, perhaps head off with the Mustang for a week someplace..... just to go.......

Reactions: Strider
21 - 35 of 35 Posts