Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, so I'm buying my 1st trailer, looking at picking up a 7x16 covered wagon this Saturday. It will be towed by my 2016 Ram 1500 5.7L hemi v8. I was originally gonna get a 6x12 single axle, but I realized space is something you can never have enough of. Especially when I start traveling to other states and start racing. Plus with double axles you get brakes, and it's way more stable than a single axle. This one I'm getting has 4 inch tube frame and 16 inch OC floor crossmembers, one piece aluminum roof, 3/4 floor, 3/8 walls. Pretty solid.

An important mod I want to do sooner than later is to treat the floor. I'm thinking there are a few options: 1) just some kind of basic wood treatment sealer, or 2) some type of heavy duty exterior paint, or 3) the most expensive option is to use bed liner material. I'm guessing I should do this before I install e-track or anything on the floor. I'm also thinking of painting all the walls inside white.

What do you think? What kind of paint should I use on the walls? And what kind of product should I use on the floor if I go with paint or wood treatment?

Any other advice about getting a 1st trailer too is appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Is the floor already wood?

I'm not sure how heavy epoxy would be, but I can't imagine it would be heavier than wood flooring if you're trying to put more down.

You may also want to go with a mixed approach .... e.g. bed-liner material where the bikes go .... foot traction NEVER hurts when walking bikes in small spaces, and something nicer looking and cheaper for the 'living' area.

Oh! Do NOT forget about the pit bull TRS system ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Is the floor already wood?

I'm not sure how heavy epoxy would be, but I can't imagine it would be heavier than wood flooring if you're trying to put more down.

You may also want to go with a mixed approach .... e.g. bed-liner material where the bikes go .... foot traction NEVER hurts when walking bikes in small spaces, and something nicer looking and cheaper for the 'living' area.

Oh! Do NOT forget about the pit bull TRS system ;)
Yea the floor is 3/4 plywood, and I'm not adding additional wood. That's a good idea actually to just put down the bed liner material in certain areas, since it's a involved process and more expensive than paint. So now I'm thinking I'll paint the whole floor grey and then do the bed liner stuff where the bikes will be... Sweet!

I'm trying to find the TRS system on line, most places are out of stock. I'll probably just do e-track to start off and leave space for one TRS system for my main bike...

Actually I'll probably try to arrange it where each bike location can be e-tracked or have a TRS behind it

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't waste time with anything BUT pit bull ..... my two cents.
I encourage a lot of my street rider friends to come do a track day so they can really learn what the bike is capable of, so I always want to be able to haul other bikes, so I can bring it up for them. Not having an easy way to get their bike to the track is a common reason why some guys don't do ever try a track day, other than cost. And since I won't be buying new TRS pins for everyone else bikes lol...

·
Director of Moderation
10,120 Posts
I wouldn't waste time with anything BUT pit bull ..... my two cents.
My trailer didn't even come with any hooks or E-tracks when I got it from previous owner. Just one TRS. Then I added 2 more TRS, so now I can take 3 bikes (or 2 and a scooter), without using any straps. The downside is like he said...if someone asks me to take a bike for them, I can't do it unless they have TRS pins for it, or I can put one in the back of my truck with a wheel chock and straps. But inside the trailer I can't use straps.

Reactions: darkgoblin

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm researching brake controllers too. The Tekonsha P3 looks really cool, and I don't think you have to configure the Ram's computer with and OBD access tool. I'm also considering getting the Mopar kit made for the Ram 1500 and install it in the actual dash where it's supposed to go....

Anyone have experience with either of these methods?

·
Director of Moderation
10,120 Posts
I'm researching brake controllers too. The Tekonsha P3 looks really cool, and I don't think you have to configure the Ram's computer with and OBD access tool. I'm also considering getting the Mopar kit made for the Ram 1500 and install it in the actual dash where it's supposed to go....

Anyone have experience with either of these methods?
Both my current and old Ram 1500s had the built-in brake controller. That's a requirement for me at this point. Won't buy a truck that doesn't come with it. Not sure how it works to have them install the Mopar one, but the factory one works pretty well as far as I can tell.

Reactions: darkgoblin

·
Registered
4,192 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Revzilla is without question the best you can go to :)
Cyclegear and Revzilla are actually the same company (or owned by the same company), and so I use Cyclegear because they have retail locations near me, so I can buy something and have it shipped to the store for free, try it on, and return it with no issues. Very useful for gear to make sure it fits right!

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I know. But I've never gotten any kind of good vibe from a cycle gear, and never not with revzilla.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So it turns out that code enforcement in my town prevents me from keeping trailers or rv's in the front yard of my house overnight, and I don't have enough room by the sides of my house to wheel them to my back yard. So I have to scrap the plan of getting a 7x16 enclosed trailer. Might consider selling my house, and buying one where I can get a trailer or rv to fit in the back yard...

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
I know plenty of people think bigger is better...

But I have a 5x10 v-nose single axle and @ 900lbs I can pick up the tongue and move it around and it rotates easily on its single axle and tows without even being noticed......... I can move it to the hitch and not have to get lined up perfectly like I do with the big trailer!
I can get two motorcycles in it easily, just not much more room than that except in the nose and width wise they have to be staggered

vs...

I have a 7x14 double axle that you can not even lift the tongue even a little bit, even with a trailer dolley you cannot rotate it and it is tough to move forward or backwards by yourself too
I can get 4 motorcycles inside, but it is so rare I have more than one inside (customer bike pick up) that it really doesn't even make sense to have it......

I far prefer the 5x10 v-nose, be better still if it were a 6x10' v-nose with a side door and still a single axle

plus single axles are lifetime (one time $16 fee) plates, dual axles are every year for about $35

Reactions: Strider

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
So it turns out that code enforcement in my town prevents me from keeping trailers or rv's in the front yard of my house overnight, and I don't have enough room by the sides of my house to wheel them to my back yard. So I have to scrap the plan of getting a 7x16 enclosed trailer. Might consider selling my house, and buying one where I can get a trailer or rv to fit in the back yard...
Or get a cheap deal on one of those outdoor storage lots that are fenced and secure.....tons of them around me that charge rates like $25/month or $200/year if you pay in advance for the year

Reactions: RJ2112

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
\
I know plenty of people think bigger is better...

But I have a 5x10 v-nose single axle and @ 900lbs I can pick up the tongue and move it around and it rotates easily on its single axle and tows without even being noticed......... I can move it to the hitch and not have to get lined up perfectly like I do with the big trailer!
I can get two motorcycles in it easily, just not much more room than that except in the nose and width wise they have to be staggered
You know, I have exactly 6'8" of clearance on the side of my house if I dig up some bushes and relocate the sprinkler pump. I could fit a 5x10 there and it would be in full compliance with the city ordinances. It's just been in my mind to get a big trailer and I was literally obsessed for weeks about all the things I was gonna do inside it, cabinets, tool chests, paint, flooring. But you make some really good points here. Maybe a 5x8 is all I REALLY need at this point. I might just get a small flat bed utility trailer for now, at least it will make bringing the bike to the track a hell of a lot easier instead of using ramps and putting it in the back of my truck.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Here is a Harbor Freight trailer build a friend of mine did to haul the bikes to track days and other events: My Harbor Freight 4X8 utility trailer build out

It looks like the photos aren't showing up in that thread since the forum was updated to the new format, but this is one of the photos of the trailer almost completed:

Here is a photo of the completed trailer with one bike on it:

Here is a photo with both of our bikes on it, ready to head to a CotA track day:

And one more:

As you can see from the photos, it also has spots for two VP Racing fuel containers, and a box on the front to carry other items.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks! Looking at a 4x8 open utility trailer this Saturday, that has a Deezee tool box, ramp, wheeled jack, and 2x8 boards on the floor... will likely pick it up if everything checks out! Best part is that I'll be able to fit it along side my house without having to dig up bushes or redo my sprinkler pump lol....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts