Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I went and test a 2012 ZX6r, rides fine, gears shift smoothly but the owner told me he only change the engine oil and oil filter for the past 7 years of riding and nothing else. I checked the air filter and sure enough it is filthy, there are some oil residue on the velocity stack as well. Coolant is still green color on the expansion tank, the fan came on around 100 Celsius and cool down with no issue. No noticeable leaks and the only mods were a chinese exhaust slip-on. The mileage was 30k km or about 18k miles. The bike has single ownership from new to present.
My concern were mainly the small oil residue on the velocity stack and the filthy air filter, other was easy fix. So guys, should I pull the trigger ? Thank you so much for reading. Pic below just for reference.
Annotation 2020-07-27 201457.png

·
Registered
951 Posts
Hey guys, I went and test a 2012 ZX6r, rides fine, gears shift smoothly but the owner told me he only change the engine oil and oil filter for the past 7 years of riding and nothing else. I checked the air filter and sure enough it is filthy, there are some oil residue on the velocity stack as well. Coolant is still green color on the expansion tank, the fan came on around 100 Celsius and cool down with no issue. No noticeable leaks and the only mods were a chinese exhaust slip-on. The mileage was 30k km or about 18k miles. The bike has single ownership from new to present.
My concern were mainly the small oil residue on the velocity stack and the filthy air filter, other was easy fix. So guys, should I pull the trigger ? Thank you so much for reading. Pic below just for reference.
View attachment 106089
Price would be a serious deciding factor in this...I’m not familiAr with the issues you are describing but I feel like the lack of attention could cause this but cannot say for sure.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Keep in mind, at that mileage it is due for a valve adjustment. That service along with the sparkplugs can easily run over a grand.

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
For me, it would come down to the maturity of that single owner.....desirable scenario is they are a responsible adult. Why are they selling it?

A tune up is something you can do yourself with time and tools for much less than a mechanic would charger you for their labor. At that mileage it will be due for a new chain and sprockets soon as well. Suspension could use a refresh, and the brake fluid is probably nasty......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, after some thoughts, I walked away from the deal. Price was not that great in my area, I am from Asia, and these toys are damn expensive.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Thanks guys, after some thoughts, I walked away from the deal. Price was not that great in my area, I am from Asia, and these toys are damn expensive.
Just out of curiosity what does a used bike like this go for in Asia? I would assume they’d be cheaper considering the distance to ship them isn’t as far as the USA.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi NY, its about $7k for that kind of condition. Yea, sheet is expensive AF for an used bike. I finally pull the trigger after he agree to reduce the price. Will post some pic after I got all the paperwork and ownership complete. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Hi NY, its about $7k for that kind of condition. Yea, sheet is expensive AF for an used bike. I finally pull the trigger after he agree to reduce the price. Will post some pic after I got all the paperwork and ownership complete. Thanks for reading.
Hello Yzhell, that is pricey actually. I paid $6400usd for my 2012 in Sept of 2015 but it only had 1100 miles and was immaculate...I can’t believe bikes are more $ in the area of the world they are created in...doesn’t make sense right.

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
Luxury taxes overseas are hideously high. Importation to very small markets, jacks the taxes up even more. Less units to spread the load over. US prices are generally lower because of the massive volumes purchased for consumption here.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Luxury taxes overseas are hideously high. Importation to very small markets, jacks the taxes up even more. Less units to spread the load over. US prices are generally lower because of the massive volumes purchased for consumption here.
This is why I love this forum...I was wondering but I am not anymore.

Thank you for being a wealth of information RJ!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I am not kidding about the taxes on these toys. Its ridiculously expensive. That's why most of us here cant afford a new one, which set us back $19k easily.

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
I recall taxes as high as 100% of the purchase price, possibly more on a new, imported luxury item.... When the EU formed, they had HUGE import taxes on anything not within their network. Tarrifs were there to create a hostile market for importers. Most countries use import tariffs and taxes to protect local industry --- to keep their money home, in their local economy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi RJ, yeah I agree these kind of item should be tax higher, but it is too damn high in my country. Does this mean, luxury bike in Texas would be damn expensive. I felt at least any of these toys are luxury toys in my place. Damn bureaucrats.

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
Yhzell, I am nearly embarrassed to say what the taxes are on vehicle purchases here in the US. A used bike, it's typically the same sales tax as for anything else. Shoes, games, food at a grocery store, all at the same tax rate as any used motorcycle. I doubt it is higher than 12-15% of the purchase price..... Presuming someone involved tells the collector what that purchase price was.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys, back to the question. Does some oil residue on the velocity stack is a cause of concern or it is normal ? Been thinking about it and cant really get off my mind.

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
Normal. That's where the smog controls dump the gasses from the crank case.

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
No worries.... it's payback, for all the times I have been helped. The wheel never stops turning. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts