Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone
I'm new here and new to the ninja world. I've only ever rode Hondas. I've owned a couple different Honda CBR 600rr's, the latest being an 2007 model. Can't say anything bad about them, really liked them but thought I would give another brand a try. I really love the look of the 2013 636 and have made arrangements to get it this weekend. (Black and green)
Has anyone else been on a Honda CBR 600rr? Wondering if there is any real differences between the two bikes?
Also can anyone tell me issues that I might come across. I read the 2013's have a cold start issue where it might take a couple tries to get it going?? I asked the current owner of the bike if it happens to him and he confirms it does. Does anyone know of a fix for this problem, it seems like a common issue???
Anything else I should be aware of?
Any comments, suggestions, opinions let me know please!!!!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
There's been a recall or service bulletin on certain models of the 2013, so check to see if that model is in the recall and you will get a new ECU or update. There's plenty information on here about this issue, just use the search or contact your local dealer or kawasaki with the vin #

If not, raise the idle. My idle is about 200 RPM above what's recommended and I don't have any starting issues since I've done that.

Dunno how agresive you are or how much you weigh, but the stock front suspension sucks. At the very least, make sure you take it to a suspension tuner and if your more agresive or do track riding, consider upgrades.

7500 miles calls for new spark plugs.

Other than that, great bike and good luck :)

Welcome to teamkawi!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I'm not overly aggressive rider, never been to a track but would love to give it a try one day.
I tried searching the Internet for recalls on the 2013 but couldn't find anything... I'll look into it further.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Idk about 600s but before kawi I had an 05' Cbr1000 and an 01' 929

Once I made the jump from Honda to Kawasaki I never looked back. The 636 has a lot better low end torque. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Great purchased and color bud.

I was one of the unlucky ones with the faulty ECU, contacted a Kawasaki dealership and got it replaced, covered by warranty. Do it as soon as possible before.

Best of luck & welcome to the world's greatest website of ZX6R.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I'm not overly aggressive rider, never been to a track but would love to give it a try one day.
I tried searching the Internet for recalls on the 2013 but couldn't find anything... I'll look into it further.
I might've used the term recall incorrectly but there's a whole thread on this page that talks about the cold starting issue and how guys got them fixed.

Like I mentioned, call either your local dealer or kawasaki and give them your vin number to check to see if your bike falls within the 2013s with faulty ECUs that cause the cold start problem. If it is, they should replace it for free.

If you call your dealer and they have no fucking clue, just call kawasaki customer service. They are actually very helpful and they will give you a reference number to give to the dealer so the dealer can contact Kawi and get their shit together.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone.
Redandblack, I checked out that page you mentioned... All 1000+ posts. Lol. I'll give kawasaki a call tomorrow and see if they will replace it for me. can't wait to ride it's been a crazy long cold winter here!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks everyone.
Redandblack, I checked out that page you mentioned... All 1000+ posts. Lol. I'll give kawasaki a call tomorrow and see if they will replace it for me. can't wait to ride it's been a crazy long cold winter here!!!
hey Cguy, you're from Ontario? where about? I'm in Toronto

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've owned just about every japanese supersport/superbike and can vouch for the 2013 zx6r. Its a great bike, rides smooth, great ergonomics, loads of low end torque and even more top end. Wish the bike came with a steering dampener but I bought an ohlins one to fix that. Good luck

·
Registered
442 Posts
I've never owned a Honda, but I do ride a coworkers 07 Cbr 600 from time to time. It's most likely just baised opinion, but I just feel much happier when I get back on my Zx. GL and welcome!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts