Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to look at a 98 zx6r for 2000$ the guy said the only thing wrong is that the bike stalled out a few times when he came to a stop. Is this a issue I should be concerned with and should that stop me from buying it? The bike does have 19,000 miles on it but for a 98 I think thats understandable. Should I buy it or no?

·
Registered
13,293 Posts
Is a 22 year old motorcycle worth the effort of making it reliable? Low purchase price is appealing; how mechanically inclined are you? Do you have a garage to work on it in? What's your budget for parts?

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
Idle speed, carbs dirty, etc..........

I would certainly expect to spend atleats another $1000 on that 22 year old 19,000 mile bike before it is reliable and safe just catching up on "defferred" maintenance (being neglected!!)
full service tune up, valve adjustment and much more
carb clean
brake flush
cables power lubed as well as all pivot points lubed
all things greased from the factory need to be; cleaned and repacked (grease does not last forever like the dumbs think!!!!!!!) steering head, wheel bearings, swingarm linkages and swingarm pivot bearings!!!

Personally I would not spend $2000 on a 22 year old bike with 19k on it (unless it was really something special and rare) even though I can fix everything myself.. those 90's era bikes are a dime a dozen..... $1000 tops IMO

Reactions: Strider

·
Registered
490 Posts
My only dislike of old bikes is they have carbs. I know a clean well tuned carb is great but I like to ride too much and don't enjoy fiddling - I enjoy working on my bikes but like riding more. Otherwise I agree with others. If you have the space, time and budget go for it.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Idle speed, carbs dirty, etc..........

I would certainly expect to spend atleats another $1000 on that 22 year old 19,000 mile bike before it is reliable and safe just catching up on "defferred" maintenance (being neglected!!)
full service tune up, valve adjustment and much more
carb clean
brake flush
cables power lubed as well as all pivot points lubed
all things greased from the factory need to be; cleaned and repacked (grease does not last forever like the dumbs think!!!!!!!) steering head, wheel bearings, swingarm linkages and swingarm pivot bearings!!!

Personally I would not spend $2000 on a 22 year old bike with 19k on it (unless it was really something special and rare) even though I can fix everything myself.. those 90's era bikes are a dime a dozen..... $1000 tops IMO
My achey breaky heart

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
My only dislike of old bikes is they have carbs. I know a clean well tuned carb is great but I like to ride too much and don't enjoy fiddling - I enjoy working on my bikes but like riding more. Otherwise I agree with others. If you have the space, time and budget go for it.
but if you ride often as you say, the carbs will stay clean just via the useage and detergent gasoline........

I have carbs, 99,000 miles later I have only had to clean them one time and it sits for months in the winter up here in the great white frozen tundra

Reactions: Strider

·
Registered
8 Posts
Personally I like the carbureted ZX6R’s and would probably buy it, but only IF the body is in great shape & it does not have damage from accidents/abuse. If it’s damaged the value goes way down.

If you follow riverszzr’s advice about doing ALL deferred maintenance you shouldn’t go wrong.

I ride a 2005 ZZR600 which is pretty similar. I like the modern ZX6R’s too but may never make the upgrade because I ride long trips & they don’t seem practical for that. The older bike is a bit more roomy. I’ve been riding 1990’s to 2005 Kawa 600’s for 26 years and just won’t switch, they are that good. IMO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts