Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, officially own a zx6r. It's a beautiful bike, 2009 only 6000 miles. The guy before me is a 1 owner and bought it as a leftover in 2011 so really its only around 4 years old in terms of riding. I am upgrading from a 2012 ninja 650 so things feel a lot different but better. I'm having a few problems...

- Clutch, it seems pretty tough to switch gears and my hands cramp fast. My 650 was not nearly as hard, so I'm not sure if there is a way to fix this?

- Battery, the bike wouldn't even start, he said its the factory battery, so i'm assuming a 6 year old motorcycle battery needs to be replaced. The bike starts when i use the engine start on the charger i have. I'm going to trickle charge the bike all night to see if that helps or makes a difference. I think either way I need a new battery regardless.

- Exhaust, I have a Yoshi carbon fiber RS4 exhaust I believe, the owner said he paid $550 for it. Its loud but not enough for my taste. Will trade for an M4 or two brothers.

-Power commander, It has a dynojet power commander with a custom tune from the shop, So if i replace the battery or the bike keeps dying, its still going off the tune and the stock tune isnt replacing this correct? I know this question might sound stupid but I don't know much about them.

Well I'm happy to be part of this community and hope to ride with some people from here

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hi and welcome! The clutch for me on my 09 was a little harder than the cbr600, but not enough to get cramps. The battery could just need a good charge, not sure how long its been sitting. As for your exhaust, it should say what it is on the side. Once you get enough posts, try to list it on the classifieds section. On a side note...that seat looks comfy. Congrats on the bike.

·
Registered
13,660 Posts
Pretty bike. My '09 clutch is not a particularly harsh pull.... my '71 Triumph, you could crush walnuts barehanded after riding that thing for a while. Take a look at the cable, and lubricate it. Hit all the pivots, and both ends of the wire itself. If the previous owner installed shorty levers, that might play into it as well. You may also need to set the angle of the lever to suit your hand, so you don't have to reach 'up' or 'down' to get to the lever. (if your wrist is at an angle when you use the clutch, it's much higher effort).

·
Registered
42 Posts
When you get the bike started you might have adjust the idle, dump that gas and give her a fresh tank. I never take the sellers word about anything. Get a new battery for your piece of mind. Good luck

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
If the exhaust is a full exhaust and not just a slip-on I may be interested in a trade.

The battery will need to be replaced.

No, you dont lose the tune in your power commander when the battery dies.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone, Battery has been replaced and clutch adjusted. The bike feels great!, sadly it's only a slip on exhaust, but it still does sell for around $450 online since its the carbon fiber version.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello all, officially own a zx6r. It's a beautiful bike, 2009 only 6000 miles. The guy before me is a 1 owner and bought it as a leftover in 2011 so really its only around 4 years old in terms of riding. I am upgrading from a 2012 ninja 650 so things feel a lot different but better. I'm having a few problems...

- Clutch, it seems pretty tough to switch gears and my hands cramp fast. My 650 was not nearly as hard, so I'm not sure if there is a way to fix this?

- Battery, the bike wouldn't even start, he said its the factory battery, so i'm assuming a 6 year old motorcycle battery needs to be replaced. The bike starts when i use the engine start on the charger i have. I'm going to trickle charge the bike all night to see if that helps or makes a difference. I think either way I need a new battery regardless.

- Exhaust, I have a Yoshi carbon fiber RS4 exhaust I believe, the owner said he paid $550 for it. Its loud but not enough for my taste. Will trade for an M4 or two brothers.

-Power commander, It has a dynojet power commander with a custom tune from the shop, So if i replace the battery or the bike keeps dying, its still going off the tune and the stock tune isnt replacing this correct? I know this question might sound stupid but I don't know much about them.

Well I'm happy to be part of this community and hope to ride with some people from here

Your picture reminds me so much of when I went to go pick up my bike. And I just recently upgrade from a ninja 650 also. Enjoy your bike man

·
Registered
726 Posts
Lovely looking bike congrats! Do a fluids change....at very least oil and filter....poor gear selection 'could' be result of old oil and wont hurt changing it either way, as stated though may be that ur cables are bit sticky but unlikely in bike of that age I would of thought but not impossible. Sure ur not cramping up due to more extreme riding position of the zx6r? Either way I'm loving that bike and you will too!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts