Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
whats up brodas!!!:2fingerlol:
here is a DIY i made while getting my baby ready for the summer doing a full tune up , thought it might help some broda out looking for it , so here it is !!!!!:2fingerlol:

YOUR SERVICE MANUAL IS YOUR BIBLE :sigh:

I GOT, 3 GALLONS OF DISTILLED WATER AND 3 QUARTZ OF KAWASAKI COOLANT

-REMOVE YOUR LEFT FAIRINGS , UP AND BOTOM AS IN THE PICTURES

THEN, REMOVE THE UPPER RIGHT SIDE FAIRING

THEN LOCATE YOUR RADIATOR CAP ON THE RIGHT SIDE AND OPEN IT

AND I GOT SHOCKED WHEN I SAW HOW MESS UP MY COOLANT WAS, :thumbdown: SO I DECIDED TO CLEAN EVERYTHING AROUND THE CAP AND RADIATOR

LOCATE YOU 2 BOLTS , OPEN THEM AND DRAIN THE COOLANT AND PUT THEM BACK ON

NOW , SINCE I WAS WORKING ON MY BIKE BEFORE I HAD THE SEAT AND TANK REMOVED, YOU NEED TO DO THIS IN ORDER TO DO THE NEXT STEP , SORRY I COULDN TAKE PICTURES BRODAS, BUT THERE ARE PLENTY OF GUIDES ON HOW TO DO THAT

NEXT STEP IS TO TAKE THE GAS TANK TO THE SIDE , THAT WAY YOU TAKE 2 BOLTS, AND THE RESERVOIR TANK COMES OUT, EMPTY IT, AND CLEAN IT :p

THEN, FILL THE RADIATOR WITH DISTILLED WATER TILL ITS FULL UP TO THE NECK OF THE RADIATOR, CLOSE IT

THEN, RUN THE BIKE TILL THE FAN TURNS ON, OR IT REACHES NORMAL RIDING TEMPERATURE , THEN WAIT FOR THE BIKE TO COOL DOWN TO FLUSH IT AGAIN "DONT BE LIKE ME" , I FORGOT OPEN THE BOLTS WHILE IT WAS HOT AND BURN MY LED LOL :laugh

REPEAT THIS PROCESS TILL THE WATER COMES OUT CLEAN , LIKE REGULAR WATER, THEN ONCE YOU FLUSH EVERYTHING , POUR THE NEW COOLANT INTO THE RADIATOR INSTEAD OF WATER, RUN IT WITH THE CAP OFF, TILL YOU SEE NO MORE BUBBLES ON THE RADIATORS, THIS MEANS YOU ARE REMOVING AIR FROM THE SYSTEM, THEN CLOSE IT, AND CHECK THE RESERVOIR FOR PROPER AMOUNT , AND YOU ARE DONE AND SAVE A LOT OF MONEY BRODAS, SO ENJOY , AND THANK YOU VERY MUCH :2fingerlol:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nice job, broda! It's always nice to have pics along with how-to's for us visual peeps. Prob do this before the summer heat is upon us. Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
broda!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nice writeup. Love seeing these. Gotta be careful with pressurized hot coolant!!

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Not a bad write up, broda. Only three things I would have done differently are as follows:

1. I prefer to do the first flush with a 50/50 mixture of distilled water and distilled white vinegar then do the second flush with just distilled water.

2. Based on the appearance of your radiator cap, I personally would have swapped in a new one. Its a few extras bucks for lots of added reassurance.

3. I would have used Engine Ice, but thats all personal preference :p

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
good job BRADDAH... lol (gonna argue that one foreverz brah hahaha). but yeah, subscribed, good reminder, i need to do this as well.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks a lot brodas !!!
and yes i might pick up a new radiator cap broda
but thanks for sharing as well !

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Not a bad write up, broda. Only three things I would have done differently are as follows:

1. I prefer to do the first flush with a 50/50 mixture of distilled water and distilled white vinegar then do the second flush with just distilled water.

2. Based on the appearance of your radiator cap, I personally would have swapped in a new one. Its a few extras bucks for lots of added reassurance.

*4. Not used the term "broda". Not even once.

·
Registered
211 Posts

i heard engine ice should be flused twice a year or something, and it doesnt hold up well to winter? or cold cold temps. i got motul and hope to flush it out in a month or so. have you ever heard these things about engine ice?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jajajaja no problem brodas im here to help ;)

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
i heard engine ice should be flused twice a year or something, and it doesnt hold up well to winter? or cold cold temps. i got motul and hope to flush it out in a month or so. have you ever heard these things about engine ice?
You heard wrong. Engine Ice contains propylene glycol which is fine in temps well below 0 degrees F, unlike water wetter which is ...water ...and freezes. You don't need to flush it twice a year either.

The only issue I'm aware of due to engine ice is that some tracks don't allow it because it is exceedingly slick (due to glycol) if it gets spilled onto the pavement from an accident.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
You heard wrong. Engine Ice contains propylene glycol which is fine in temps well below 0 degrees F

The only issue I'm aware of due to engine ice is that some tracks don't allow it because it is exceedingly slick if it gets spilled onto the pavement from an accident.
Correct.

Engine Ice is just like antifreeze and will hols up to temps in excess of 20 below 0 without freezing.

I was told it is no more slick than regular antifreeze, but any track org who wont allow coolant likely also wont allow Engine Ice. Those types of places usually are only ok with water/water wetter.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
The Mike's in the third picture was all I managed to get out of this thread :O

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Love mikes hard lemonade broda

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Love mikes hard lemonade broda
lol...I just got distracted :O

I tried to look through it again now and did a little better with it. It looks like a good write-up with LOTS of pics (the way it should be) :bigthumb:

·
Registered
831 Posts
Holy shit. Renzo did a DIY thread, which was pretty informative. We are all fucked.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thanks for the walk through. Pics are a great help as well. The leg shot... Well... Not so much :laugh

1 - 20 of 26 Posts