Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am new here and just bought my first brand new bike, Kawasaki ZX6R. I've been riding for about 6 years and I started on a 2009 Honda Rebel 250cc (2,000 miles) then moved onto a 2004 GSXR600 (7,000 miles) I named "Halloween". I love riding canyons such as Azusa, Ortega, Angeles Crest, Glendora Mountain Road and Trabucco. I am happy to be here and look forward to some bike meets when COVID eases up.

I bought my '21 from Corona Motorsports and I never thought the day would come when I'd finally be able to buy a brand new bike. My search started about 6 months ago when I lost out to a couple of left over Pearl Storm Gray, 2019's, dealer leftovers, but I always failed to get there first. I saw my bike on instagram on 12/26 and I bought it on the 29th. I instantly fell in love with the color and beautiful front nose redesigned in 2019.

To get started, I want to purchase a slip on exhaust and fender eliminator. I feel like this would be a good start to my journey with the bike. Look forward to hearing any opinions on slip ons or any other mods that deem necessary.

Here are a couple of pics.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Welcome. Nice colour. Slip-ons? I went Arrow on my '13. Not obnoxious like some pipes out there and reasonably priced. As for fender eliminator, just go for some cheap ass Chinese stuff off ebay that's what I did.

Are you looking to get out and do some track-days? Highly recommended if you want to learn to ride the bike properly.

·
Registered
13,856 Posts
I'd suggest racing bodywork, and store your perfect OEM plastics as insurance against future costs if you plan on tracking you '21.

Probably a lot smarter to beat up the gsxr, & in that case buying protection to keep your '21 plastics whole is a smart move.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi RJ2112,

I appreciate your thoughtfulness of keeping my plastics clean because I do not want to scratch her! That is a really smart idea and will consider doing that.

Unfortunately, my best buddy beggggged to buy the GSXR from me about 15 seconds after I signed the finance docs, lol. I think I made the right decision considering we will be riding buddies now. Also, my wife wouldn't let me keep two bikes, although it makes me want to buy another toy instead.

Take care and see ya around on the site.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I rode to the track for YEARS with the stock plastics. You just ride more carefully - and pick which groups to mingle with. Training organisations (e.g. California Superbike School) vs general track days are better because you're more likely to learn something than playing follow the leader with a bunch of people who don't know what a good line looks like.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
I really couldn't care about a slip on or a fender eliminator, but I would get a much better (taller) windshield and some case covers (engine protection)

And if I were to do any organized trackday where the goal was to actually learn something, You have CSS in your backyard 20+ times a year, go spend your $500 and ride with them for a day or 2 on your bike and really learn.
Then you can decide if you want to go ride with the hack groups which are far less regimented/teach far less and far more likely to have issues that could get you in trouble or damage your bike....

But proper gear is always a must and a first thing any rider should own and wear daily!
Full face helmet
Full gauntlet gloves
real sportbike jacket with atleast level CE1 armour with a decent backprotector- better still an airbag!
real sportbike pants with atleast level CE1 armour with knee sliders and knee cups and hip protection
and real motorcycle boots with ankle support and heel cups and toe protection (good boots should limit your ankle movement!)
I add in a standalone backprotector and padded riding underwear for extra hip and tailbone protection

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

I am new here and just bought my first brand new bike, Kawasaki ZX6R. I've been riding for about 6 years and I started on a 2009 Honda Rebel 250cc (2,000 miles) then moved onto a 2004 GSXR600 (7,000 miles) I named "Halloween". I love riding canyons such as Azusa, Ortega, Angeles Crest, Glendora Mountain Road and Trabucco. I am happy to be here and look forward to some bike meets when COVID eases up.

I bought my '21 from Corona Motorsports and I never thought the day would come when I'd finally be able to buy a brand new bike. My search started about 6 months ago when I lost out to a couple of left over Pearl Storm Gray, 2019's, dealer leftovers, but I always failed to get there first. I saw my bike on instagram on 12/26 and I bought it on the 29th. I instantly fell in love with the color and beautiful front nose redesigned in 2019.

To get started, I want to purchase a slip on exhaust and fender eliminator. I feel like this would be a good start to my journey with the bike. Look forward to hearing any opinions on slip ons or any other mods that deem necessary.

Here are a couple of pics. View attachment 107568 View attachment 107569 View attachment 107570

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for your replies and valuable information. I appreciate your advice tremendously!

Looking forward to learning on the track with some good gear, grabbing some engine covers and a better windshield. Two brothers exhaust is awesome but I ended up buying a Yoshimura Alpha T 3/4 slip-on. I will be installing it at the 600 mile mark while I do the first oil change. Fender eliminator is up next!!!

Thank you all!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you all for your replies and valuable information. I appreciate your advice tremendously!

Looking forward to learning on the track with some good gear, grabbing some engine covers and a better windshield. Two brothers exhaust is awesome but I ended up buying a Yoshimura Alpha T 3/4 slip-on. I will be installing it at the 600 mile mark while I do the first oil change. Fender eliminator is up next!!!

Thank you all!
If you find good slider sets let me know, the one I want is out of stock everywhere

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you find good slider sets let me know, the one I want is out of stock everywhere
Hi Slamce,

as riverszzr recommended, I am starting to lean on buying engine covers instead. I think sliders are great but there is always a risk of one catching and flipping the bike. I am not confident on exactly what I am gonna do but covers seem like the right way to go. I need to do a bit more research on silders. I saw some on ebay made by OES for $84.99. Had pretty good reviews too and in stock.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Yeah it's hit or miss with sliders. I love the T-Rex ones. You can see that they ground down in the pic below. But the bike eventually hit the kitty-litter and flipped (not because of the sliders). I go for engine protection and sliders.

As I said, I stick with T-Rex as they've saved my bacon in at least three drops. The others can be hit and miss (do a search on here and you'll see the results of some that broke people's frames). So beware...These days fairings are cheap enough (thank you China!) that it's probably better to spend the money on saving the engine casings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ah, sorry to see the aftermath of your accident but glad you are here alive and still typing! I wm having a tough time finding engine covers that dont look useless. I will need to continue on my search. I appreciate your recommendations.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I have R&G but if I was to do it again, I'd go GBR racing. Love their stuff. And yep the bike is fully-rebuilt and I am all good thanks. Here's the bike now (and in its natural habitat)!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts