Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a few Kawasakis before, mainly ZZRs and mainly old ones. A consistent problem with them was that if the front brake calipers had been neglected at all, when they were serviced and rebuilt with new everything (master cylinder, lines, seals, pads, fluid) they still seemed to be less than before and would often have a very l;ong lever travel before decent bite.

Exasperated, I searched for a solution and a few people suggested new calipers and others suggested red rubber grease (RRG).

When I got a 6R- A1P with the six pot calipers I was worried that an even more expensive service than a four pot set up would result in similar lack lustre brake performance.

Last Saturday, with just shy of 10k miles on the clock, I took out the OEM Tokico HH pads and replaced them with Carbone Lorraine standard pads (very good too, used them before and can't fault them on OEM discs). I took the opportunity to clean all the pistons by pumping them out a side at a team in each caliper and cleaning the exposed areas thoroughly before coating them with Red Rubber Grease and then pushing them all fully home. I then fitted the new pads and set out for a shake down and bed in run before hitting city traffic this morning.

While this isn't a full rebuild in the manner of my old ZZRs, I was impressed enough with the results to be able to say that the RRG solution would probably work.
The smoothness and response from the brakes is massively improved. Now the pistons weren't that bad, but clean and greased, they seem to slide with the slightest effort resulting in a level of feel from the lever and from the bike as whole that is vastly beyond what was there before.

the fluid is only in the system about six months now, and I didn't even bleed it on this occasion as the results were so good. After 50 miles or so, the pads were bedding in nicely and after another twenty miles of so this morning, the brakes are sharp, progressive and give huge feedback between lever and tyre.

A tub of Castrol Red Rubber Grease cost me €14 (£10, or about $20). I used a miniscule amount in the process and I have transformed the braking effort and response on my six pot calipers.

RRG is especially formulated to be neutral to the rubber hydraulic seals of a braking system. It is recommended particularly for use with classic cars and I have heard a few owners say that in rebuilding OEM ZZR11 calipers that its use made them feel like new.

I am now convinced. I hope others benefit from this, try it on a clean up the next time you put in new pads, it is worth the effort. And to anyone who knew this already, I say, hey I'm only riding bikes for 18 years, I've still a lot to learn!

A

·
Registered
900 Posts
I recently stripped my brakes and fitted new braided HEL lines. I also used RRG costs about £1 a sachet, couldn't find any tubs. It was easy enough to do (it was first time I'd stripped calipers) and I will be doing it at least once a year now to keep my brakes in top condition.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
i got my front brakes cleaned and rebuilt when they put a new tyre on the front and seemed to be a bit sharper when it came back

1 - 4 of 4 Posts