Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
11,772 Posts
rear. but avoid having to brake through a corner in the first place.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Don't think of making a corner a matter of speed.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I use mostly front brake coming into a corner and I use both brakes in the corner all the way to the apex. I'm in the minority though as many/most use front only. I feel comfortable using both and feel I can control the bike better with the right amount of each brake. I should say I use both brakes in left hand corners. I use front only in right hand corners.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Be at your correct speed before leaning into the corner. Use a bit of rear to adjust if you need to. You want to keep the weight distribution even once you are committed in the corner itself. When exiting the corner you accelerate out.

Shifting the weight abruptly with either brake (especially the front) can potentially cause you to spill.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Brakes are bad in corners the front brake will stand you straight up. You can use a little bit of rear but never use the front brake. This guy pulled his front brake in a corner right in front of me.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Front only, but I honestly try to avoid trail braking for the most part.

Get 95% or more of your braking done prior to diving in.
There was a hairpin at the end of a short straight at RFR last weekend. I kept braking later and later and eventually was braking all the way to the apex. Felt good. :)

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I guess I'm in the minority, I use front brake only. For trail braking and to scrub speed if need.
I don't think you are in the minority but you are giving a better answer. If you're going to use the brakes in a corner your front is your best option as far as braking power just as it is in any other situation. The rear can be used for additional control adjustments but if you are doing it right the rear can really only be used in a left hand corner. Why? If your feet are in the proper position on a right hand corner where you are running such a high pace that would require trail braking your foot will be back on the peg and not anywhere near the brake pedal. If it is your going to be dragging it on the pavement.

For everyone else suggesting to not use their front brake when trail braking they might not be ready for trail braking and might want to slow their pace. They might also want to read up on how trail braking is done. Wiki actually has some good info:

Trail braking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
For everyone else suggesting to not use their front brake when trail braking they might not be ready for trail braking and might want to slow their pace. They might also want to read up on how trail braking is done.
Agreed. Have never heard of someone teaching trail braking with the rear brake. In fact, myself and most others rarely if ever use the rear brake on the track. I personally never use it.

I dont trail brake much yet, and when I do, its just a little front brake in the early section of the turn prior to apex as a speed check if I am still too hot. I cant imagine using my rear brake mid corner to perfectly honest.

There are pros and higher level riders who can manipulate the rear brake to swing the tail end around for a sharper turn in angle, but that is something I dont even think about at this stage

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
What brake do you guys use if you have to brake around a corner? Front or back?
Your Question is worded wrong coz No one Breaks in the Middle of a Corner unless you are leaning so bad that you feel the front end slipping then use the front to stand the Bike up

you do it before

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Your Question is worded wrong coz No one Breaks in the Middle of a Corner unless you are leaning so bad that you feel the front end slipping then use the front to stand the Bike up

you do it before
Not true at all...read about trail braking. Braking through a corner up to apex is normal, not after.

All pros and most skilled riders use it.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
You really shouldn't be on the brakes at "mid" corner (around the apex) and should be pretty much trailed off completely by that point. It's sort of the opposite of how you apply power "out" of the corner. You increase power as you decrease lean angle. Similarly coming into the corner you decrease braking as you increase lean angle. I also don't use the rear brake to swing the rear around I use it more for suspension loading I think. I don't know if I can explain it but when you use your rear it does something to the suspension that effects how the bike turns. I find a little rear helps turn the bike but I guess that could also be described as swinging the rear around. It's more of a "feel" for me.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
It's more of a "feel" for me.
To me, that is how I describe my trail braking. It is almost never a conscious action. If I feel I need to slow a little in the initial section of a turn I find that my instinct applies some front brake. I usually only realize it once I am on the brake.

Like you said, hard to explain, and more often than not I get all my braking done before I turn in anyway.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts